Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust temprature gauges?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Espen88k5, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

First of thanks to <font color=blue>Itali83</font color=blue> for the howto on tranny temprature innstal. Just ordered mine today and will have a nice weekend project..

I will mount the gauge where the aircondition normally is, only mine came with a storage hole there instead. And there is perfect room for two gauges.

Since I am thinking about advancing the timing on my 6,2 diesel I also want to monitor the engine heat with a exhaust temp gauge, since I'v heard it produces more heat ...Anyone have a clue about these things. I'v looked at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</font color=red>[/b]<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Espen88k5 on 07/16/01 11:35 AM.</FONT></P>

2. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

The 2-channel unit is so that you can run 2 sending units and switch back and forth to see the reading for either one. If you went that route, you would need 2 thermocouples (sending units). I don't know much about diesels, but have considered using these on my gasoline engine. They are very helpful for tuning and getting the fuel mixture correct.

I've seen race engines with 8 thermocouples (one in each header tube), all linked into a data acquisition computer. This allows tuning of individual cylinders for the correct fuel ratio in a fuel injected system.

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</a>

3. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Thanks espen for the recognition in your post! I know a little about exhaust temp guages (pyrometers) They have them on my father's mack dump truck and I imagine the idea is the same. I assume that you don't have a turbo on your 6.2 diesel.You want to mount the sending units as close to the manifolds as possible to get the best reading. If they are like the big trucks, you need to cut a hole in the pipe, weld a nut or fitting that fits the sending unit to the pipe and you are in business. Wow, I'm looking in jegs now at pyrometers and they are expensive! They have single units in here also if you don't want the dual sending unit deal. The 2 channel one you are looking "should" have everything you need unless it has fine print, look into it and find out for sure. Hope I helped and PM me if you got more questions.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys!

I called the local suplier, and they seem to be a bit expensive...[​IMG][​IMG] Could I make a regular block temprature gauge work in aprox the same mather? I mean that I only need to know when the heat is raising to much to quickly. (climbing hills, stuck in traffic etc..)

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

No you can't use a regular temp guage becuase your exhaust temps will WELL exceed 280 degrees F. You need a pyrometer and nothing else.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>