Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust Tips

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 13, 2001.

Do exhaust tips with resonators really reduce noise? My exhaust souds pretty rough and I though it my help, and be cheeper than new mufflers.
    BTW, I have new hedman headers, dual 2.5" pipes, flopro mufflers.

1. highwaydevil

highwaydevil 1/2 ton status

I don't know about tips, but I found out, and have also heard, that an "H" pipe will help reduce resonance inside. (If that helps).

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Exhaust tips with resonators built into them do reduce a little bit of noise, but not a lot. Think of them as being a really short glass-pack (which is what they basically are, and short glass-packs are not all that effective in cutting out noise). I'd say that you will get more bang for your buck in getting mew mufflers than by band-aiding the system with resonator tips.

3. I'm sure this has been gone over a thousand times...but what are some options for a good quiet muffler?
    What I don't like is the harsh rattling noise, like a rock in a can...especially at idle. I don't want it to sound like a Harley.

I'm kind of pissed because I told the guy who did my exhaust that I didn't want Flowmasters because they were too loud. I said I wanted it quiet and mellow. So he said Flopros, and I trusted him since he is supposed to know...Well that was a $150 mistake, and now I have to spend more money to get it the way I want.

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I'm using a set of 2.5" Walker Quiet-Z mufflers. They have just a little more restriction than the Dynomax standard muffler and are quieter. A friend had Flo-Pros on his Blazer (now has Dynomax) and they were much louder than my Quiet-Z mufflers.