Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust tips

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Jun 1, 2002.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have some 3.5 or 4" tips on now, that angle out behind the rear tires, and the springs always hit them, and break the hangers and mess up the tips quickly. These have been on for 2 years and look like crap. Has anyone used some regular stainless pipe for the ends? I want something that won't interfere with the springs and won't have to be cleaned all the time. I want someting like the pipes on the new Silverados look, shiny, but kinda a dull silver look. They look a lot more durable than the chrome tips I have. If I run them out at a 90 degree angle will the springs still hit them? I either want to do duals, with a 3" pipe both running out at a 90 deg angle to each side, or a single at a 90 deg angle to one side, or duals, both at a 90 degree angle, but 2.5" pipes out one side. Anyone have pictures or suggestions on how to make this work? Also, will probably have the tips cut like the factory used to do, with a 45 degree cut from the bottom to the middle, and then straight fro mthe middle up...like this, but with a 45 on the bottom:
    That should help keep the fumes out while I'm driving with the window down in the back...I'm not really looking for looks as much as function anymore...just want something that will work well and last a long time.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm using stock diesel stuff (90 degree bend, out behind rear wheels) and the springs never hit...is your exhaust tucked up *too much* and thats why its hitting? I agree, the stock factory angle is nice. Not even for funtion, just doesn't look "cheap" like my last dual exhaust did.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had the muffler shop run my tail pipes under the frame inboard of the springs until the rear shackle hanger...then the pipes make a 75-80 degree bend towards the side of the truck and exit right at the corners.

I had the angled tips before too, but every time I wheeled the truck the springs would break the tailpipe hangers.

Rene

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I also used aluminized pipe...it stays kind of a dull silver for a really long time.

Rene