Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust too loud! - updated

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jms, Jul 15, 2002.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Changed my exhaust last week at a local shop, 3 inch from the Y-pipe all the way back to the tailpipe, high-flow cat, and a Ravin' Muffler (not my pick, but they had it in stock).

It was kind of fun driving it a bit around town, but I had the truck in Madison, Wisconsin, over the weekend, and after 900 miles (Omaha-Madison-Omaha) I've decided it's too much noise - my ears are still ringing today, the muffler/tail pipe part has to go. I know all about the "if the music's too loud, you're too old" stuff - too bad, but can't help it. I'm not driving to Moab with this thing the way it is now - I like to be able to hear myself think.

So, I need suggestions. I'd like to keep the 3 inch cat and pipe to the muffler. What's the quietest muffler available? Maybe one with a 3 inch inlet and a 2.5 inch outlet? I'm not that worried about maximum flow or a bit of backpressure. As always, advice is greatly appreciated, thanks, michael

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Re: Exhaust too loud!

I'm running Headers into single 3" pipe, No cat with a Flowmaster 70 series muffler. I think it is a good set up. I really like the flowmaster 70 series they are quieter than the 40s and 50s and work/sound great on a single exhaust system. Like you, I am not into having a loud exhaust. Mine is quiet at idle and when cruising down the freeway. But it sounds great when accelerating. Not loud, just powerful.
    It also flows real good. Flowmaster makes them in just about any configuration you need. I got mine from Summit.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The guy at Midas was trying to convince me to run the raven's too. One look at the cutaway model and I said pass. My 40 series Flow's are loud enough for me. My swampers drown em out on the freeway and around town they have a nice bite to em.

Rene

4. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I have never heard of anybody wanting the quietest, but look at anything with a traditional packing instead of a more flowthrough "baffle" type. And as for too loud, you don't want to come to Madera, I run open headers half the time /forums/images/icons/cool.gif , only got one ticket while cruising in Fresno /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Wow! them must be some loud muffs to drive you nuts with the cats still on!.
    Yeah we have 40's on the wifes 79. I was ready to yank them. Just droan going down the hwy. When I had to put Cat's back on they quited down to a reasonable level. Decided to leave the cats on after that. I have heard a truck with only Cats and I was surprised it was as quite as it was. Totaly reasonable at Idle. Almost sounded like Glass packs when you got on it.

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Do you lose anything (like HP) adding cats? Would it be quiet like that without cats and a 70 series flowmaster?

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm very happy with my Dynomax Super Turbos. The only time they're loud is during heavy acceleration. I'm running the stock manifolds with dual 2 1/4" pipes and no cats.

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I went a had Dual Flowmaster 50 series intalled on mine and they seam louder than my nabors does with dual 40's other people agree with us. I wish I had gone with a 70 series instead. I'm getting old but still like a great sounding car and stereo, But when you step on it and everyone looks at your vehical and 2 cops pull in behind ya every chance they get it's a bit much...

9. jms

Thanks for all the responses. So it seems the consensus would be a Flowmaster 70.

I'm also mulling over the suggestion of going to OEM-type. The reason is that I didn't notice much of a performance gain (as measured by seat-o-the-pants); maybe a bit better top end, and possibly a little less bottom. My engine is a reasonably healthy 350 (rebuilt Q-Jet/GM aluminum intake/vortec heads/Edelbrock TES headers/Y-pipe/single exhaust/stock cam/electric fans), I've noticed reduced compression braking while coasting - makes sense due to the reduced backpressure. Freeing up the exhaust also didn't do anything for mileage - it seems I'm stuck at 9-10 mpg regardsless of what I do to the truck. Of course, now that the motor is running good after the mods, I have my foot in it a lot more - I can actually accelerate from 70mph on highway uphill grades!

Grim, it was L O U D, but maybe it's just me. My wife seems to like it; my friends in Madison liked it, especially the "header-pop" (a loud popping noise when you let off the gas quickly, probably a detonation under lean-out conditions). My wife even tried to use the "pop" on a fella in a small car who had been driving annoyingly close to us on the highway , and when he finally decided to pass, well, she let off when he was right next to us.....

Thunder, thanks for the suggestion. When I look at my credit card statements, Summit seems to appear fairly often /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene, good idea to look at a cutout model - didn't think of that.

Again, thanks for the suggestions, michael

10. Grim-Reaper

Yeah I had some loss of power. This was the cheapest cats I could find to get it past emmisions. I usualy yank them the next day. Left them on just because of the noise and this trucks life is spent running between the Kroger 2 miles up the road and home. First time it was on the Hwy in a month was a quick run 2 exits up to get som BBQ.
    They were rated under 4 liters but since I run true duals I run a pair. They don't flow that great. THe truck would wind up MUCH faster with them off. Still does fine just doesn't launch as well.

11. Grim-Reaper

Hehehe Rice boy's. Before I had the cats on it was straight pipes with 40's. Turned out to the side like factory. Sitting at a light one day and some punk in a riced up honda. Must have been REAL fast with all the stickers and the picknic table wing. Needed all that extra down force and all. So Junior is sitting there bumping so hard he is rattling the tail gate on the wifes 79. I'm Serious, it was rattling our truck. He's got his trashy girlfriend with him. Full recline on the seats so all you can see is from their nose up.
    Guy behind me is mid 40's. He's just staring at Junior. I'm trying to listen to my stereo at a reasonable level. Well Junior driverside window happens to be right next to my passengerside Tail Pipe. Slide her into Nuetral. Couple Red Line Blips on the trottle to get the secondaries opened up and get it real Rich and stinky with big black beleches and it leans out and pops as the RPM's come down. Junior got the hint. He also got a face full of nice rich exhaust. He can't get that window up fast enough and turn the boom box down.
    Got worried about the guy behind me. Thought he was going to have a Heart attack he was laughing so hard he was in tears pounding on the dash board. He see's me looking at him in the rear veiw and he's giving me the thumbs up. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

ROTFLMAO! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I have those exact same mufflers! I like them alot. They're supposed to flow more than the ol' Blowmasters and have a lifetime warranty as opposed to only one year with flowmaster.

14. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Anybody know what to do with this one? I just blew out a baffle on my flowmaster 40 series, now I just have a gnarly rattling sound whenever I drive /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

15. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Great minds think alike, eh? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Overall, the Dynomax have been a great all-around muffler.

16. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I have edelbrock TES headers, no-cat, 3" flowmaster exhaust using the bigblock series muffler. It is not very loud IMO, over say 25mph the swampers drown it out. Brother in-law has similar on his '93 K2500 but has a dynomax muffler, was told not to bring back to silver lake until he quiets it down. They plan on installing the cat for the dunes.

17. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm replacing the exhaust soon and was wondering if anybody has a general list of mufflers from the loudest to the quitest. I search the flowmaster web page and it went 40,50 series and I used to have Dynomax turbo muffler that seemed quiter than a 50 series flowmaster. Maybe I'll try the 70 series sounds like people are really liking them!

later
    mike

18. jms

Grim, after my experience and your hilarious story, I can just see a muffler becoming a defensive weapon for urban combat....

Right now I'm thinking I'll probably go with the Flowmaster 70, just need to go measure one more time.
    Again, thanks to everybody for their input, michael

19. jms

Just a quick update: I went with a stock muffler for a mid-90's GM truck, everything 3" from Y-pipe to tailpipe. It's far more quiet, a nice deep and mellow sound that doesn't become very aggressive when I step on it. Don't notice a performance difference. Funny, I seem to be the only guy that wanted to make the truck quiet , everyone else really admired the sound....

For those who are from around here: I also wanted to give a plug to the Midas shop in Bellevue on Fort Crook Road and express my thanks to Beau: he changed out the muffler and built me a new tailpipe that exits in a better location, took back the Ravin' muffler, and didn't charge me a dime despite the two or so hours the truck was in the shop . /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea my dads muff finally fell of his 79 on the way to work..sounded awesome to me haha..but he went out and got a replacement..it was on a lifetime warrenty..notin fancy just a stock muff. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Bryan