Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust too loud

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jimmydriver, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Jimmydriver

Jimmydriver Registered Member

My 1977 Jimmy with 400 small block had a kluged together dual exhaust system with pipes ranging in size from 1 ½” to 2 ¼” with 2 ½” in/out mufflers. The mufflers were an off brand called “Mean Streets” which actually sounded “good” with this exhaust system, pretty quiet at cruse and a raspy growl at WOT.

I rebuilt the engine and installed street headers and a 2 ½” dual exhaust system with no cats. The exhaust exits at the stock locations with the tips turned down. The sound went from “good” to outrageously loud with so much resonance the door panels literally rattled and vibrated at 50 MPH.

I decided to switch to SpinTech mufflers as I had ridden in cars using them and really like their sound. To be on the safe side I bought their RV mufflers as they are the most quiet and are advertised “to give you the performance you want, without sacrificing interior comfort you enjoy. Has a great sound under acceleration, yet at highway speeds you hardly hear it.

The resonance is somewhat reduced but the exhaust noise is still crazy loud inside. Twenty minutes on the freeway and I want to jump out and walk. The sound literally hurts my ears. Forget talking with anyone or turning on the radio. Having had good experience with Spintechs in cars this was an expensive disappointment. I’ve done a bunch of forum searches and found mention of the K5s being loud though the floor.

So what to do? Switch to Hemi style Turbo mufflers like Dynomax makes. Install Dynamat (expensive). Spray on the “Quiet Car” goop (also expensive). Does anyone have experience using Quiet Car?

2. fasthumpman

fasthumpman Registered Member

ear plugs........bout 99 cents :haha:

my 80 k5 has headers no exhaust but i take it this is your daily driver. goodluck

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

id try adding an h pipe. if nothing else, you'd gain some mid range torque and hp. should quiet it down some. if that doesnt work, the dynamat or other stuff should work ok.

4. Jimmydriver

ryan:

Thanks, I forgot to mention it has an H pipe. I'm inclinded to try the Quite Car goop wondered how well it works.

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

can exhuast ever be too loud?????:dunno: :dunno:

6. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

Make sure you have installed some sort of insulator, such as rubber mounts where the exhaust is mounted to the body. A good exhaust shop will do this automatically. Without a way to isolate the noise and vibration it will resonate into the cab and turn it into a huge exhaust "speaker" inside.

7. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

install a set of warlock mufflers and bolt the dump-outs on backward (i.e flat-side towards the inside of the muffler). or you can also weld in a resonator tube on each side.

8. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have the same problem with my GMC. Its got full length headers, with dual 2.5" pipes, and a pair of flo-pro mufflers. It sounds way too loud for my liking, so I plan to install a crossover pipe, and a pair of short glass packs infront of the mufflers. Should help tone it down quite significantly.

The GMC doesn't drone, it is just crazy loud. I used to set off car alarms on my way into the school, lol

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

10. chvymudin3388

chvymudin3388 1/2 ton status

sounds crazy i kno but by some real long glasspacks like 28s or 34s put them after the cab not under and you can keep the mufflers you got if you want but its up to you considering you said they were expensive and all.

11. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

YES! It can. Some of us like our hearing. I like a perfectly quite ride. In my K5, my C10, and even my nighthawk. I hate harleys for this, nice looking, but 10 miles on the freeway, and your not hearing anything for a month.

12. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

I run dual 3" with single chamber Flowies, and a noisey Pete Jackson and stil it's not loud enough..

13. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If its too loud your too old.
    My brother has a 97" S&S Superglide, with drag pipes on it, and although it sounds great, it does get loud if your on the left side of him, I run open headers and sidepipes on my Vette, and going down the highway after about 10 minutes its enough. But man it does sound great, and when your going about 4500 rpm and someone goes by and stares, with a thumbs up, and the kids in the back seat look like they saw a Naked lady for the first time.

14. Jimmydriver

Thanks for Vizard’s article and the ideas. This weekend I’ll check for rubber mounts where the exhaust is mounted to the body. I’ll also measure to see what kind of room is available to install glass packs or resonators in front of or after the Spintechs and report back.

15. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

You kids and your loud exhaust. I would rather be stealthy... and when I romp THEN you would know it. but it would still be nice inside, not blow out yer ears.

16. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

thats very similar to the set up im gona run. engine hum is like music. if it has a good tone, i could listen to it for hours. now those ricers, thats a different story....

17. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

around here we call those ricers "fart cars"...:D

18. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

sorry i don't know where the exhaust exits, but if it's under the truck it will be hard to keep it from rumbling. can you exit straight out the back? that's my suggestion