Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust turn down question

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by AJMBLAZER, Mar 23, 2007.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Excuse me if this is a silly question but then again I don't know much about diesels, this is my first.

I'd like to put two turn downs on my 6.2L's system as right now every time I start it up when cold it blows out some serious soot/crap. So much that I now have to go scrub the siding on two walls of my garage and one on the house. Whoops...
    I'm about to finally get the parts vehicle project out of the garage and the pickup will be able to stay in there. I REALLY don't want to be blowing soot and crap all over the wife's car and other stuff in the garage every time I fire the truck up.

Any risks or issues with turn downs on a diesel? Most of the box trucks I've driven had turn downs but then again most aren't built to be pretty or last for 30 years. I had one on my gas powered Ranger and was told it would rust out the underbody and the axles and yadda yadda...I really didn't see much difference after over two years. Anything different with a diesel?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Just run some turn downs on the tail pipe tips...

I wouldn't run tourn downs under the truck, it'll turn to a sooty mess under there in no time.

Rene

3. AJMBLAZER

What I'm thinking of doing is where they make the 90 degree bend out to the sides hack it off and run the turn downs at the end there instead of the bends. It would be under the truck still but so near the end I'd imagine the wind chop would suck it away from the truck.

4. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

i have 3" turn downs that dump over my rear axle, there isn't any mess on my undercarriage.

5. AJMBLAZER

I actually did the dumps last night. Hoping to do the mufflers today.

I just cut the tailpipes off at the rearmost hangars and slid the turn downs over the pipe at that point. I used the rear clamp-hangars to secure the turn downs to the pipe. Seems good so far.

6. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

PICS! BEE-ATCH!:D:D

Er, Pics Please:o

7. AJMBLAZER

Easy there big guy...:wink1:

Where I cut the pipe:
    [​IMG]
    Turn down on one side:
    [​IMG]
    Side view of both:

[​IMG]
    Rear view of both:
    [​IMG]

Cherry bombs installed:
    [​IMG]

Went pretty well and seems to be holding in place. Only got about 25 miles on it so far but so far, so good. On a side note I can faintly tell it's got a different exhaust note now but the engine's so noisey in the cab I can't hear the exhaust over it and the tires!:laugh: