Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust upgrade in California

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Smitty, Oct 24, 2000.

1. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Looking at putting a new exhaust on my blazer. Problem is that I'm stationed in CA and have been hearing some mixed info on upgrades. I want to replace everything from the manifolds on back but haven't been able to find a system to do it myself.

Is there someone that manufactures a complete system with Flowmaster mufflers?

Should I drive over to Nevada to get a system made? Vehicle is registered in FL.

Is there a better way to go? I'm partial to single exhaust but am open to ideas. (I know the idea of single vs dual exhaust can open up a big can of worms but I'd rather have single in a tow vehicle.)

Smitty

2. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

How's it going Senior Master Sgt? I'm a Lance Corporal (E-3) in the Marines stationed down here at MCAS Miramar in San Diego. I've run into a similar problem to yours. My truck is registered in Michigan, so there is no smog tests or whatever for me to pass. Thing is, most shops down here won't do anything special for me, like duals or the like, even though I don't have to pass smog or anything. Since you want to keep it single, your problem is simpler than mine. I'd say go find a good, compitent exhaust shop. Talk to them some, see if you trust them, their work, and their judgement. If you do, have them design up a system for you. Some good quality headers (preferrebly coated so that they don't rust or burn off in 2 years), mandrel bent pipe going back to a nice, easy bending Y pipe, more nice, mandrel bent pipe going back to a high flow catalytic convertor, then pipe going back to a Flowmaster 40 series Delta Flow muffler and then out the back. A similar set up on my Blazer was going to cost me about 600 bucks for everything behind the headers. A good set of headers that were then Jet Hot coated will run about 400 installed if you get a good deal. I ended up deciding to wait until I go home, a friend is going to build me up a duals setup for the cost of parts. [​IMG] Hope this helps.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

The only way to get the ehaust that you want in CA. is to let the shop know that the truck is not driven on the highway. The shop may not give you as good of a warrenty but they can do the work for you then.. The law is what scr*d you out there. Contact your local off road shop and see if they can recommend a shop to contact.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"