Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust upgrades for '05 2500HD 6.0L

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by w0lf, Mar 25, 2007.

1. w0lf

w0lf Registered Member

Hi guys,

I'm just about finished building out my truck, but after putting the new tires and leveling kit (details below in signature), I gave back a bit of the power I got from the K&N + Hypertech.

The only things left I can find that might add some oomph back in (theoretically) are headers and a TBS. I wanted to see what you all thought of adding the following parts on, and if anyone thinks it will give me some power back vs. the cost?

1. JBA Cat4ward titanium/ceramic coated headers
    2. Poweraid throttle body spacer

If anyone has any other suggestions (not ready for a turbo / supercharger yet :), throw em out.

Thnx

2005 2500HD 4x4 Ext. Cab / Short Bed
    K&N FIPK II
    HyperTech III
    Dual FlowMaster 50's
    ReadyLift front leveling kit
    Toyo MT's @ 285/75/16
    Tiregate VT

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Upgraded PCM is the best power per $ on those trucks. I don't think Hypertech gets rid of Torque Management. Sending your PCM out to be reflashed with make a big difference. If it were me, I'd send out the PCM, get it reprogrammed, and put on a cat back exhaust.

TB spacer will do you jack IMO. On the TBI trucks it makes a lot of sense, because fuel is injected before the throttle body. On modern fuel injected vehicles, it makes no sense. There is little to no gain in one.

Oh and best thing you could do? Regear to equivalent gearing. You lose the most power in the increased tire size. Sure there is more weight there spinning as well.

3. w0lf

w0lf Registered Member

So since i already have cat back flowmasters, and have "updated" the PCM with my Hypertech, can i still send the PCM out? I have no idea if this is right or not, but it would seem that the PCM flashing and Hypertech do similiar things, right?

I believe my truck has 4.10's now, what would you suggest i regear to? i use this mostly to haul ATV's, and we are planning on getting a toy hauler at the EOY.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

See the newer trucks have a system called "Torque Management". The PCM looks at verious inputs and controls outputs. It is meant to reduce torque. Why? To save the transmission and other parts of the truck. I do not believe that a Hypertech programmer turns off Torque Management. It is your call whether you want to switch or not.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123667

Thread about its effects.

5. w0lf

w0lf Registered Member

WOW!! well i got to page 7 of that string, and it looks like FSC is down now or i'm having ISP problems. this is quit interesting, thanks for sharing. looks like it costs around $500 for the wester pcm mod, but i'm not sure i want to try and rip it out.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

FullSizeChevy's server SUCKS. It goes down all the time and is slow when it does work.

Like I said, not sure if you really want to do that mod or not. If you still have a warranty, I don't recommend you do the mod.

7. w0lf

w0lf Registered Member

i do still have the warranty (extended no less), why would that matter? if i read that string correctly, people appear to swap the original back in for warranty work?

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

they reprogram YOUR PCM. Unless you have a spare one, you can't just swap back.

9. w0lf

w0lf Registered Member

actually both of the ones i looked at will give you new ones if you pay extra (which i would). Is that not right?