Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust upgrades?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jonny-K5, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ok heres the deal, im looking for a hi flow muffler and cat for my 89 k5, the hitch is its gotta be CA smog friendly.
    anyone done this or know what might work? i know flowmaster makes a muffler that interests me, but dont know about the cat.
    2. has anyone with a 2.5 or 3 inch lift needed to modify the crossover pipe on the exhaust? the one that goes under the front driveshaft.

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

just find a 50 state legal convertor or convertors and flows are 50 state legal as well. I have no CA emissions to pass but I run a headmen headers 50 state legal high flow cat 3" in 3" out was pricy at $150 but can't tell its there besides the additional muffling of my exhaust.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

That cross over pipe should be fine if you have the worked installed at a shop they tend to only do work that will be state legal. If you do the work yourself all that you need to do is lift the front of the truck up by the frame to check for full droop on your drive shaft. I have a cali blazer and it was a pain last emissions test. I run 3in cat back pipe and hooker headers nn my carbed 86

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    > I don't have a problem with Catco converters. I have a problem with them
    > selling a necked down converter for the L69 Monte, and selling a
    > non-necked down converter for the 84-85 Vette which has the same length,
    > bolt pattern, and openings at each end. Random Tech also has good
    > converters. Between all the brands, you'll hear of ones going bad though.
    > J. Matthew Daugherty

My two year old Randon Tech was just replaced by Random Tech, it only had
    18K on it and the core broke up. What was left of the core was rattling in the
    housing. I paid the shipping back to them for inspection, about 3 weeks later
    I had a new cat. Always send the warrantee cards in for any cat you buy. Fed
    law says they have to be warranted, 3 years on the core, 5 on the case.
    Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

email I just received lately from another list. Hope it helps out in some small way.

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

thanks for all the info guys, i think im going to go with the flowmaster 50 series and keep the old converter, its only 10k old or so. i want to get rid of my dorky duel tips and go 3" all the way back and bent for clearance. ive been told by cops that "no mods to any exhaust are legal". you think this 3" pipe is gonna give me hassles?