Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust/Vacuum Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muley, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Let me see if I can explain this.

I found yesterday that the vacuum line to what I believe is the heater is not hooked to anything. So I unplugged the vacuum feed that goes to the butterfly valve I can't remember the name) on the passenger side collector off the exhaust manifold.

Here are my questions.
    1. Is that going to hurt anything by not having that valve functional? Seems like the air pump has line going to this, but the air pump does not work. No belt.

2. Is the vacuum feed for that valve sufficient enough to use for the heater feed?

I have not ran the truck since I did this fix to see if the heater would work a little better.

thanks for the help.

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

That little valve is the control for the EFE (Early Fuel Evaporation) system. How it works is that some of the exhaust ports on your cylinder heads actually have holes in them that run up into the intake. These holes are what supply the exhaust gas for the EGR. Not to worry though, the EGR valve will be shut during warmup, so EFE will not dump a bunch of exhaust gas INTO the intake. That flap pulls shut and mearly sends the hot gas THROUGH a channel in the intake and out the other head. Thus warming up your intake faster. Long story short, it sends exhaust gas to your intake to make a quicker warm up. Disconnecting it just makes it a lil bit more cold blooded

3. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

The truck is actually easier to start now in mornings with the vacuum disconnected.