Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust??? what to do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4trolls, Jun 18, 2005.

1. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

How does everyone run there exhaust so it doesnt come in the truck? And in deep mud it seems like I break the seals in the system ,does everyone have to replace there exhaust every time they go wheeling? BTW my rig is a suburban

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Tailpipe location is critical. I have found the 45 degree exit for the tailpipe(s) allows the least fumes into the truck with the rear window down. Currently my tailpipe exits at 45 degrees, and at a 20 degree downward angle. The tip is still well under the truck and pretty close to the underside of the floor...yet I don't get any fumes into the truck.

Keeping the pipes and mufflers as high and tight to the body as possible seems to keep mine from breaking/leaking after wheeling. I used to break clamps every wheeling trip, but soon figured out the springs were hitting the pipes under compression.

Rene

3. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

if you run hedders use the aluminum collector gaskets, they dont blow out like the paper ones do

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

turn down right behind the muffler. Fumes aren't a problem, just remove the top and doors and you'll be fine. I've never noticed any fumage in my rig anyway. :grin:

j

5. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

That about sums it up.. I think having the tail pipe exit straight out of the back of a Blazer or Suburban is a bad idea.. When the back window is down the wind we be drawn in and bring all the fumes along with it.. I can think of many a night after riding in a 72 Blazer with the back window down and smelling like gas and exhaust fumes... The wife would always complain and would make me take a shower before she would get near me. :crazy:

6. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Not to be a jerk, but I can't figure out how you could be riding in a 72 blazer with the back window down. I can picture top off, maybe even lifting the rear hatch (though that would be horrible for the arms that hold the window up), but I really can't figure out the whole back window down thing in a '72 K5 :thinking: :dunno: ?

7. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

I guess after reading this statement and being half asleep I wrote DOWN instead of UP :doah: :haha:

But I am glad you pointed that out.. That might save alot of questions this week on how my buddy customized his tailgate with a window that goes DOWN and not tilt UP. :D

Way to stay on TOP of things and making sure everybody gets the low DOWN. :haha: :thumb: