Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust with Back window down

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5onswampers, Feb 26, 2007.

1. k5onswampers

k5onswampers Registered Member

Do you think that if I route my exhaust out the back corners like 45 degrees like you see every once in awhile that I would be able to ride with the back window down without sucking in all of the exhaust fumes.​

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Mine is that way (single outlet Drivers side) and I have no issues with fumes (exhaust fumes that is):D .

Ira

3. k5onswampers

Is your exhaust go out like stock where it is a 90 in the rear? I want to do it like 45 on both sides with 3 inch chrome tips. it should work like your.

4. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i've been trying to figure out a routing to cure this problem. i really think the 45 degree might make the problem worse, since it's actually dumping the fumes more behind the vehicle. the 90 degree stock exhaust at least shoots SOME of it away. hey, let's all chip in and rent the use of a wind tunnel so we can figure this junk out once and for all. :wink1:

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I had mine out the corners at a 45 (duals) and it sucked fumes.
    I now have it straight out the back (duals) and it sucks fumes.
    My buddy has his out the sides at a 90 in front of the tires (duals) and it still sucks fumes.

I don't think there's any good solution short of running a "truck stack" up the side like a Hummer with a fording kit.

Or run topless all the time. :waytogo:

6. k5onswampers

Well I was thinking if you 45 it out but use a slash cut 3 inch tip and turn it side ways it would be a 45 I can take some pictures of my buddies blazer but it is a s-10 blazer so it is not exactlly the same. I really want to be able to ride with all of the windows open

7. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I had mine straight out the back (duals) and it sucked a lot of fumes in. I had them bend a 90 on it to route out the sides and it sucks a lot less fumes now. My wife says I smell a lot less disgusting now, but I do still stink :)

8. k5onswampers

I just stole this pic from another post I hope nobody gets made you can see what I was thinking but it isn't the best picture but i think if it sticks out about the same distance as this it might help alot

IMG_2165.jpg

9. k5onswampers

If the owner of this truck sees the post can you please post a picture from the rear corner?? And if you want I can remove this picture.

10. Rednekjimmy86

Rednekjimmy86 Registered Member

I have the same setup with duals @ 45 degrees with 3" tips, I haven't noticed too much exhaust fumes so far. The duals are pointed somewhat towards the ground right behind the tires it seem to help.

11. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

The only way I was ever able to run with the window down was when I had my exhaust made to come out in front of the rear tires.

12. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I had a similar setup, except 3.5" SS tips, and the smell of exhaust fumes was minimum. Not sure how mine is now, because I had to cut them to put my flip in, and now they exit right next to the frame rails on both sides.

13. 87K506

87K506 1/2 ton status

how well do you guys think dumping the exhaust underneath the truck would work?

14. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

ive got mine coming out just under the 2nd set of rear bumper bolts at an angle...i honestly dont get much fumes. but ive got all windows down and flys open all hte way...great sig material there lol

15. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

16. k5onswampers

Have you driven with your rear window down yet?

17. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I would think you could dump underneath and the fumes would disipate before being able to return to the cab. But I don't know this for a fact.

Soon to find out though.

I chopped mine off, they were getting in the way of the flip.

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Uh post #2:D

Ira

19. 87K506

87K506 1/2 ton status

I like the way dumps sound so thats what I was going to do, but wasnt sure. I do remember with the exhaust kickedout at the factory 90 degree angle being able to smell the exhaust somewhat. I'm going to pick up big time on this blazer mid-may when school is out, so I will prolly be on here asking alot of questions lol

20. jdemaris

jdemaris Registered Member

I've got a dozen K5 Blazers and they all do it, regardless of how you shape the pipes or where they come out. All my Blazers - but one - are diesel - and the fumes are even worse. It gets much better though, if all the windows are open. But, drive with only the back open - and forget it.
    If I tow a trailer though, I get no fumes at all. Seems a trailer behind breaks the suction.

I suspect maybe that's the reason why Chevy put those air-dams on top of the caps by the back? Maybe they are supposed to break the suction at the rear and help stop with the fumes.