Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust Y-pipe help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5DRAGER, Oct 30, 2003.

1. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to redo my exhaust on my 88 crewcab and could use a new Y-pipe, problem is everywhere I call says that they don't make them. Anyone know a good exhaust parts supplier, or is one? This truck is for towing only so would like to retain the stock manifolds and Y-pipe setup and not go to headers. This truck is 4x4 and has a 454 and 465 tranny. I called all the local parts stores and even meineke and car x muffler shops. They said sorry I can't get that part, but bring it in and we'll figure something out. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

ANY exhaust shop can bend a new one............. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

agreed, go to a shop dude. A custom one is even better cause u can get it bent to clearance ur aftermarket hardware and it keep it tucked up high etc.

j

4. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys for the input. I figured they could make one I guess I just thought it might be kinda booty fab. I guess as long as I go to a shop that has a good rep I'll be alright.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, i'd shop around a lil too.. dont just pay the guy at the 1st shop you go to. I imagine some shops try to be slick and charge lots o $ for any kind of custom bent stuff when they see the rig its going on has mad trick aftermarket parts etc etc.

j

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I can get most "Y" pipes as long as they are available through my manufacturer, drop me a line tomorrow. 800-772-4185.
    Scott

7. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Thanks scott, I'll give ya a call. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

If you get one 'custom' made, then be very specific about your requirements, and tell them you will not pay for some hack job. Many shops say they can put together a Y pipe, but many of them are a disgrace to the term fabrication.

More skill and effort is involved in making a pipe that will work well, not leak, and offer some performance enhancement. Many shops just don't have the time, or the skilled employees that can carry this out....

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree. It's a pain in the ass.

10. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

where at in Illinois? i'm asking, b/c there is a good shop that i used a long time ago. I went to school with the guy that runs it now. (his dad used to run it) if i was still up there, i would have him do any exhaust work i needed done.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifrick

11. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Near Kankakee.

12. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i don't know if you would want to drive over 2 hours to get exhaust work done or not. Here is the address to a shop in Westfield Illinois.

RUSSELL ENGINEERING
    410 E STATE ST, WESTFIELD, IL 62474
    Phone: (217) 967-5966

but like i said before, i went to school with the guy that runs it. i'd trust him to fix anything i couldn't. he rebuilt my 350 tranny for me when we were both about 17. i beat the crap out of that tranny, and it was about the only thing in one piece when i sold the truck. here is a link with directions from Kankakee to Westfield.

directions

if you call, ask for Greg. Hope this helps.

rick