Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust Y-pipe - what do you think?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Mar 5, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I'm going to buy some ram horn manifolds with 2 1/2" outlets.
    I originlly thought I waed a dual exhaust with h-pipe, but now I think I have a better idea.
    Why not get a y-pipe with 2 1/2" inlets and 3" outlet? Then run a single 3" with, i dunno, a Flowmaster 70 out ehind the right rear tire?
    I think that would flow plenty and be quiet also.
    Now, where would I buy the y-pipe? Has to be for a corvette because of the ram horn manifolds and has to have a 3" outlet.
    The 'Y' is under the oil pan, correct? I think it would be slightly back of the oil pan so the starter and oil filter would still be accessible.
    Any input?
    -- Mike

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd say run true dual 2.25"... just going to be easier, (and I bet cheaper) especially running manifolds that weren't designed to be run with these trucks...(afaik)

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I think it'd be easier to do the duals. The corvette one might not fit. You might talk to an exhaust shop and see if they can build you one.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Stick with the duals. I had new 2.5" put on mine AFTER I had spent the money on 3" single. It's much easier to work around, and breathes better, not to mention I set of car alarms in parking lots..heh heh..

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

My guess is that you would have to get the Y-pipe custom made. You have the issue of clearance of the front driveshaft that corvettes do not. I know my stock y-pipe rubbed the front driveshaft after my lift. I can only imagine it would be worse for a Y-pipe designed for another vehicle.

I junked my Y-pipe for true 2 1/4 duals and have been very pleased. I do not run an H-pipe and have solid performance and acceptable noise (you can tell its a truck, but it doesn't wake the whole neighborhood).

6. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

they sell em at adv auto parts and autozone i think

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just put the Dynomax headers and dual kit on it. It's cheaper and will flow better and sound better.

As far as exhaust is concerned, HEADERS are what you need for performance. Headers make more of a difference than just freeing up a restricted exhaust (unless your stock exhaust is that horrible).

8. Big Muddy K20

Big Muddy K20 Registered Member

When I ditched the crappy exhuast that was on my truck(it was like 2" with the big round type truck mufflers that exited in front of the rear tires) I got some 2 1/2" with an h-pipe and 40 series flowmasters, I cant tell the performance gain because I put in a new motor about the same time and didn't really get much of a chance to compare, but it sounds a hell of alot better than my buddies truck with 2 1/4" 2 into 1 3" cat then into 2 3" tail pipes, not too loud at idle, but higher rpm cruising and full throttle it gets really loud, and I would think it flows better too.

9. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

If he's going to use the 2 1/2 rams horns they are basically the same as running a pair of shorty headers. We used to run them on a 434 sbc for a "stock" mud drag class. Just my opinion but you should be fine running them. But I think I would go for the 2 1/2" duals with the h pipe. Actually thats what I'm getting ready to do here soon.

10. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I saw a Y in the summit catalog. But you gotta bend the pipes from the header to it. It's supposed to make the smoothest transition from 2 pipes to 1. I really don't think it's meant for a truck.. but, ya never know.
    Anyway, I'm going to get an exaust bent for my truck on friday. gonna cut off the end of the stock Y, put an adaptor to a 3", and run that through the cat, to a flowmaster, and out the drivers side, behind the shackel hanger (gonna do shackle flip). Guy from minekie says that it'll cost $250 for the parts and labor. I already had the cat and muffler, so throw on another $80 (got the muffler barely used, cat was $50 on summitracing.com), and that's how much I'm spending on my exaust from the Y back. not that bad for a custom job. I think it's gonna be worth it.. especially cuz my headers will hopefully stop glowing when I wait for the truck to warm up. stupid exaust clogs/ restrictions/

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you are wanting good low end torque, which is what you want if you have a truck and are using it as such you are better off with a 2 1/2" y pipe into a single 3" exhaust with a good muffler. I really like the gibson muffler, not very loud at idle or cruise, but when you put the small pedal down it does get noisy. If you decide to go with the duals at 2 1/2" you will lose some low end torque but gain it at high end. Not really what you want for a truck.

12. Big Muddy K20

Big Muddy K20 Registered Member

I agree with the low end torque loss, but I was originally building my truck for mud, pedal to the floor... it just happens to crawl pretty good too, I think the low gears and short tires let me rev it a little and still crawl pretty good anyway, when I get bigger tires I'm sure I'll need a doubler for wheelin purposes, but in the mud and on the street it works just fine