Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by joshkbomb, Apr 8, 2004.

1. joshkbomb

joshkbomb 1/2 ton status

I wanted to know everyone's thoughts on how to do an exhaust. I wanted to go dual, but apparently that is illegal here in Colorado on my stock 87 blazer 350 with a catalytic converter. Instead, I plan on a Flowmaster muffler, and maybe some Edelbrock shorty or tubular headers. Does anyone else have a system like this or comments on how to do it better?

Oh, and the money I'm getting in a couple months to pay for all this has $25 earmarked for membership. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Just go with a large tube single setup, everybody is so hung up on doing true duals, but it technically is not needed. You can get good flow out of a single tube setup if it's done right, also less components and weight to worry about. Maybe even go with a dual Cat in and out with a dual in and dual out muffler, i'm thinkin about that route. myself.

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I have true dual 3" pipe no cats, and 2 flowmaster 50's. I have my truck registered in Elbert County (no emissions) and I did most of the exhaust work myself. If you wanted to, maybe you could come up here this summer and we could spend a couple days and make a system for you. You just provide the exhaust tubing and beer I have gotten away pretty well with a cut-and-weld type system. We could just put duals on it with cats and mufflers and then take it to a exhaust shop and have them bed up some tail pipes (cut-and-welding tail pipes takes FOREVER and is no fun, but the forward part of the system is pretty easy)...

BTW, I have Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers on my exhuast...you should really get some full-length headers...the inporve low-end torque more tahn shorties...

Chris

4. joshkbomb

joshkbomb 1/2 ton status

I'm registered in tree hugging Boulder county, which means emissions every two years (something like that) and the unfortunate fact that as soon as they see I did anything with the cat, or exhaust forward of the cat, I won't pass. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I got this info from a muffler shop in Boulder. So, until I'm smart enough to move to Elbert County I'm stuck with a single tube and direct stock replacement shorty headers (which I'm still not completely sure is okay). Maybe someday I'll pay the $750 screw the emissions fee we have here and take you up on your offer, thanks anyway.
    We should go wheeling sometime though I've only had this truck since late october and haven't broken it in yet. Hell, my last car was a Cadillac, my four wheeling experience is all from the passenger seat. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just get yourself some Thorlry Tri-Y's and run a 3" single exhaust system. [​IMG]

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

As long as you are running emissions legal hedders and a Cat, there shouldn't be any problem with the emissions laws, the cat was simply repleced with another unit because the original wore out,,, are you telling me that the emissions laws there are more strict than Cali's laws, and Phoenix is right behind them,, /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. husurddy

husurddy 1/2 ton status

Snow Hill, Maryland, go east \'till you hit water
  8. joshkbomb

joshkbomb 1/2 ton status

It looks like you may be right, /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gifI'm going to call some other exhaust shops and see what they say. Here is the website for the emissions:

http://www.aircarecolorado.com/requires.htm

I guess I should have done more research than calling one exhaust shop.

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I know it is illegal to sell a used Cat and use it, the only way it's legal is to keep the existing one, or replace it with a brand new one. If you have A.I.R. tubes on your stock manifolds, then you need hedders with this provision to stay legal, oh and also the o2 sensor.

As far as i know, as long as you replace the system with emissions legal equipment, you should be ok.

10. joshkbomb

joshkbomb 1/2 ton status

So, I should get some of those tri y's, cats, and mufflers. I can put the y's on (is it an easy install aka bolt on?) and then go to an exhaust shop to have the pipes and everything else put together.
    If this turns out to be possible, I just may have me a plan for a new exhaust! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. joshkbomb

joshkbomb 1/2 ton status

Summit says the tri-y's are available with air injection hookups. I believe that I also need cats with an air tube, although I haven't looked under the truck yet, is this true?.

12. husurddy

husurddy 1/2 ton status

Snow Hill, Maryland, go east \'till you hit water
    Like 4xcrazy said, if you have air tubes, Thorly tri-y's can be ordered with them as well as the O2 bung. That's what I have and love 'em. but a lil' $$$$

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I don't recall the trucks having the air tube going to the cat, but i'm probably wrong, i know alot of cars had them.

ANYBODY ?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure these are the ones I bought, has air stuff tubes and 02 sensor bung. Headman I don't think dual exahust matters in any of these counties. I think as long as you have muffler and cat on both sides your fine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif What exhaust shop did you call? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I am running the Edel Tes system into single 3" exhaust and a 70 series flowmaster. It flows and sounds good. The TES system will bolt right up to your stock exhaust with no modification. The Flomaster 70 series muff for your application will replace your stock muff it is exaxtly the same size. Either that or get a Cat back system. I have installed a few of these on Chev trucks and they are an easy bolt on. I would get rid of the stock Cat. They dont flow well. Get a high flow cat like a Catco or something. Besides the stock Cat gets plugged up after 60 or 70 thousand miles. If yours has more miles on it it is due for replacement.
    The advantage of single exhaust is you only have one exhaust system to tear up on the rocks. A 3" single flows just as good as 2 1/4" duals. So you loose little by staying 3" single and save a whole lot of money on exhaust work.

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, I don't think the trucks got the AIR injected cat converters...maybe after our vintage, but most everyone that has mentioned it, has said there is no pipe to the converter on the trucks.

Cars had it since 1981 at least, but trucks were of course a different story.

17. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

Just use some driveshaft tubing like the PO did on mine /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[​IMG]

18. joshkbomb

joshkbomb 1/2 ton status

It looks like you may be on the right track. I just called the muffler shop and asked how much it would be to install everything except the headers (I have to do something) and they told me $850! Add the price of the headers and I'm looking at $1150-$1250. I wasn't expecting this to be cheap, but I wanted to keep it at a thousand tops. I'm going to call some other places, but it looks like at these prices I'll just be upgrading my single with headers(Thorly tri y's are only $330 instead of $400 for the Edel Tes), cat, and muffler. The dual will probably have to wait for the next engine. Doing just the single myself I'm looking at about $600 tops and some money left over to fix miscillaneous crap like window seals, that damn leak somewhere under the driver's side of the dash, and brights. (Or maybe speakers! )

19. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    It looks like you may be on the right track. I just called the muffler shop and asked how much it would be to install everything except the headers (I have to do something) and they told me $850! Add the price of the headers and I'm looking at $1150-$1250. I wasn't expecting this to be cheap, but I wanted to keep it at a thousand tops. I'm going to call some other places, but it looks like at these prices I'll just be upgrading my single with headers(Thorly tri y's are only $330 instead of $400 for the Edel Tes), cat, and muffler. The dual will probably have to wait for the next engine. Doing just the single myself I'm looking at about $600 tops and some money left over to fix miscillaneous crap like window seals, that damn leak somewhere under the driver's side of the dash, and brights. (Or maybe speakers! )

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa! Ripoff!! I installed Tri-Y's mysef and bought a 50-series flo from summitt, then drove down to the exhaust shop to have a custom exhaust instaled. Dual 2 1/2" pipes back to a y-pipe behind the transfer case, single 3" out. The dude did a sweet job and it only cost $300. No cat tho. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Keep in mind this is in the Bay Area where just 'bout everything costs more. Shop around a bit.