Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EXHAUST

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ptangler, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Ptangler

Ptangler Registered Member

My 72 Jimmy came with org. manafolds which look alright and dual pipes running back which are basicly shot. Im having a lot of exhaust fumes entering the truck, i belive they are comming through the tailgate since the pipe ends are right below the 1/2 inch gape below the gate. Is there supposed to be a seal there? Im putting a new exhaust system in next week and im trying to figure out where to run the tail pipes out. Im definatly going out the side, Any thoughts on comming out in front of the rear wheels?
    Any imfo greatly appreicated.

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I've heard alot of guys complain of fumes with the exhaust run straight out the back,especially with a soft top and the back window open.I have mine out the sides,behind the wheels.Can't comment on running the exhaust out infront of the wheels.

[​IMG]<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

3. 72CSTBlazer

72CSTBlazer Registered Member

I've also gone behind the wheel.

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

There is a reason that almost all of the factory SUVs and station wagons you see have their exhaust pointing out the side of the truck. Even with the factory gaskets in place, it's deemed unsafe to have the exhaust exit out the back because of the chance of drawing the funes up through the rear window or tailgate gaskets.

Definitely have the pipes redone so that the tips exit behind the rear tires. If you have the chrome strip on the bed floor and no gasket, get the gasket that seals the tailgate to the floor and bedsides. If the gasket retaining strips are not in place, you're in for a heckuvva search for them.

5. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

ptangler,
    Can you tell me how the dual pipes run past the xfer case? Mine had a single exhaust on the drivers side, and I'd like to go with duals. The passenger side is blocked by the xfer case. I could go over it with a major bend and a body lift...or under the cross member which means it will get squished. Or possibly run both pipes to the drivers side and one back to the passenger side after passing the xfer case. Please let me know. Thx, JT

6. 72GMCJIMMY

72GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

My Right side exhaust runs over the transfercase along the frame, It has a quick bend from my stock manifold and is almost straight untill it passes over the transfercase then it drops a little. I do not have a body lift. Hope this helps.

7. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Like Jimmy72custom, my exhaust bends right out of the collector, up toward the body, then bends back horizontal to get over the transfer case. My exhaust is 2.5" OD and I don't have a body lift on my Blazer. There is room for a larger pipe, but it'd be a bit tough for the pipe bender to do the work. I might get some 3" in there one of these days.

8. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Mine goes over the t-case also (2 1/2"). There is plenty of room with an NP205, tons of room with a Dana 20.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]
    Mine doesn't go anywere, just pointed down and to the side a bit. I have never had fumes in my cab that I could smell. The only thing I don't like about this simple setup is that sometimes when I stop over very dry dirt the dust will bello out from under my rig, making a dust cloud........

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

10. JBOY

JBOY Registered Member

i would definitely recommend turning it out behind the wheels. my last one was there and no problems but this truck already had the exhaust done out the back and so far my wife & son have each mentioned "that smell" - i think when i'm driving i don't notice anything except that i love my truck!! LOL

JBOY

11. Ptangler

Ptangler Registered Member

I went with new pipes from the manafold back, glass packs, comming out behind the rear tires. I made a makeshift seal for the tailgait and low and behold no exhaust fumes in the cab. I had the Les Schwab in Port Townsend do the job and Im real happy with it.