Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CkYblaZeRBoY, Jul 4, 2005.

1. CkYblaZeRBoY

CkYblaZeRBoY Registered Member

I need a new exhaust system im planing on doing it myself so i need your help. I need to know if theres a flowmaster super40 muffler and a good cat that i can bolt on without extensions or anything - thanks joe

2. CkYblaZeRBoY

im mainly looking for a good deep rich sound so if that helps. thanks o yea and its an 89 k5

3. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i'm running a magnaflow 3 inch cat and a super 40 single 3 inch in and dual 3 inch out muffler...not sure about bolt up..mine was all redone, from the engine to exhaust tips..looks and sounds real nice. if you want i can go snap a couple pics real quick and post them up

4. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I just did a whole new exhaust system my self it is about 99% done (I need a tail pipe. :crazy: ) I did not use the super 40 I just used the flowmaster 40 seires with a dynomax super cat. I upgraded the pipes to 2.5 and it is loud my firends where able to hear me about 1.5 miles away. By the way this is a single exhaust system I don't like duel exhaust. What I found when I was done is that the tip off my new muffler was around where the tip of my old muffler was.

I went to advance auto parts and bought a new y-pipe and center pipe. I got my muffler and cat off from summitracing.com when I was done I spend around $400.00 if a shop did it it would of cost me around $800 (maby more). I am going to end up going to the exhaust shop to get a tail pipe made up.

SO SEARCH SUMMITRACING.COM
    Thanks
    Adam

5. CkYblaZeRBoY

if you could take a few pics that would be cool so i could see exactly what ima get myself into im not a member so post them up dont link em :p:

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

sheoldeblaze, if you dont mind, could u post some pics? i wanna do a similar set up on my 88

thanks

7. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

ok, let me grab the cell phone and run outside..hope there is enough light...be back in about 10min

oh yeah and my entire exhaust was done by a shop for $500 out the door..it was so cheap becasue at the time alot of people were asking about the super40 but no one wanted to get one until they heard what they sounded like, so he told me if i got the supper 40 he would hook me up..and he did!

8. adamforsythe

my system is off because I just swaped my engines I hope to have it in by the middle of the week.
    Thanks
    Adam

9. CkYblaZeRBoY

cool thanks.

10. muddybuddy

how do u like the super 40?

how does it compare to the original 40? i want the deepest loudest thing that still sounds great.(and isnt too pricey) haha

11. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

my buddy has a 91 jimmy with stock y pipe and cat that goes into a 3 inch inlet 40 series out a stock 3 inch tail pipe he got from napa. it sounds extremly good, nice deep and mello , and sounds awsome around 5 grand

12. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i really like the sound of the super 40. deep and agressive..not too much louder than a regular 40 series but definatly more agressive. when i go through town at about 2500 rpms it rumbles enough to set off car alarms :D

"camsk5" in redding has heard it and he says it sounds like a "hot rod"

and yes you can hear me comming..the other night i was out side working on my ex's mustang, and she took my k-5 to the store real quick, about 8 blocks away..i was able to hear my truck all the way to the store. i could hear each time she took off from a stop sign, and i heard her fire it up when she got out of the store, and heard her comming all the way back home! :D

the super 40 comes painted flat black...but after a few thousand miles..the paint "burns" off as you can see in the pics

hope these pics give you an ideal..sorry kinda hard to see, getting dark outside..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. adamforsythe

When I had my truck running people would ask me what i had under the hood and that my truck sounds like a hot-rod. ETC. I try not to let it go to my head :D
    Thanks
    Adam

14. muddybuddy

looks good, i really wanna run true duals,especially since with my 8" lift the front driveshaft rubs like crazy on the y pipe, and would love to run 2 super 40s. but ppl say that u are only aloud to have as many cats that came from the factory, so that kinda eliminates that :(

15. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

yeah if it wasn't for cali smog, i would have true duals also..
    don't know much about the front drive shaft rubbing..mine doesn't come close..of course my "y pipe" isn't in the factory spot, (you can see in the pics..factory is below the oil pan...)i had it moved and tucked.. granted my lift is only 4 inches. but i just looked at it again, and i would say if i went to 8 inches the drive shaft would be even farther away from hitting then it is now

[​IMG]

looking at this pic..factory location is under the oil pan, right in front of where the pan drops down..personally i had it moved so i could drop the oil pan with out having to unbolt the exhaust..if you look close you can see front drive shaft and its no where near the exhaust.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2005
  16. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Good to hear feedback on the series 40 mufflers. I intend on installing one. I was gonna go duels, but too much exhaust to tear off and have to replace.

17. muddybuddy

so is ur new y-pipe like right under where the front driveshaft hooks up to the t-case? ya it looks like u will never have anything to worry about it rubbing. how much further back is it from stock? maybe ill just do something like that.