Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sunnyc123abc, Sep 15, 2005.

1. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

I was just wonderding if i remove the muffler from my exhaust, if that would decrease my engine performance. Also is it legal in CA. thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Removing restrictions in the exhaust doesn't hurt performance. Forget what is "common knowledge" about backpressure and all of that, proper exhaust flow is what makes power. That far downstream, the muffler if not plugged up, has little bearing on power production. (when talking about an exhaust system as restrictive as the trucks from the muffler forward)

About the CA thing, it shouldn't be an *emissions* violation to remove it. Noise ordinances could certainly cause problems though.

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Why not use a straight through muffler, so legally you still have a muffler, you still have sound supression but you are not restricted by the muffler either.

4. sunnyc123abc

Wats a straight through muffler? is it a muffler with out any walls in it?

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Yes, it is a muffler that is completely straight through just look straight pipe. It has a perforated core and some type of packing inside the body of the muffler to dampen the sound of the exhaust.

6. sunnyc123abc

cool....how much do these things cost, and where can i get one. thanks for the help

7. foolhardy

foolhardy Registered Member

AKA a glasspack

8. sunnyc123abc

cool thanks... dang they are pretty cheap. Anyone have any experience with them. how is the sound?

9. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Glass packs have been around since the stone age and have a crackley sound. there are other straight through mufflers like magnaflow, which aren't glass packs. I just run straight pipes, but I don't really drive on the road much........... I don't think flowmasters would restrict your exhaust flow enough to worry about, and they sound really good (they aren't straight through)....... I just sold 2 used 40 series 2 chamber flowmasters for $40...
    do your homework before you jump off on anything..

here's a link http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60052&page=1&highlight=factory+muffler

10. sunnyc123abc

thanks for the reply, after reading the link to that thread it sounds like the glasspacks don't have the sound i want. i want a nice rumble. I will have to keep looking then.

11. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Sunny, I'm not referring to a glass pack. I'm referring to a MagnaFlow muffler. Check out this link.
    http://www.magnaflow.com/wideopen/wideopen.asp

The MagnaFlow muffler will have a deep smooth rumble. A glass pack uses fiberglass that will break apart and cause the muffler to get louder after time, MagnaFlow mufflers use stainless steel mesh and are guaranteed for life. I have ran a MagnaFlow muffler several times and they do not sound like a glass pack. Browse around on my site if your interested in pricing, and be sure to get the CK5 discount code I have listed under the vendor section.

12. sunnyc123abc

So all the magnaflow mufflers are straight through? What is the cheapest one I can buy, I went to the site in your profile and i saw that 59 bucks is the cheapest...which is not bad at all, just wondering if i can get a better price. thanks for your help.

13. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Look in the vendor section for the discount code to get 10% off. But all in all it's a great price for a stainless muffler with a lifetime warranty.