Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhaust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crash1369, Dec 12, 2005.

1. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

I just got an 88-k5 blazer yesterday from a guy I work with. He just used it to plow so there’s lots of rust underneath and half my exhaust fell of on the way home so I need a new one. I am probably going to put headers on (suggestions welcome) I don’t want to lose and HP but I want as much low-end power as possible. Like I said I just got it so I don’t know much about it yet it has a rebuilt 350, probably just stock rebuild it didn’t feel like it had too much power. Anyway I would like some suggestions on what would be the best performing exhaust, or at least muffler. Like I said I want the most power I can get that’s the priority but I want it to sound good of coarse and loud doesn’t bother me either. :pimp: Anyway thanks for the help, sorry for the long post.

2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

in a perfect world: doug thorley ceramic coated headers, 2 1/4" dual exhaust with crossover pipe flowmaster 40 series 2 chamber mufflers, exhaust exiting out the side of the truck.

my world: stock exhause pipes and manifolds, no muffler, and a piece of rusty flex pipe running out of the back :p:
    James

PS: welcome to the best website in the world ;)

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Do you have to worry about emission testing in your neck of the woods? Keep that in mind when planning your new setup.

Just so you know, redoing your exhaust won't give you a lot of extra power, so don't expect miracles just because you throw on some headers and a couple of performance mufflers. It may make your truck SOUND a lot faster though........:rotfl:

And, yeah, welcome to CK5, brother!!!! :thumb:

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

who cares bout driving fast and getting speeding tickets, when you can sound fast?

5. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

first of all does doug thorley have a website (im going to search now) and as far as crossover pipe, h or x or does it not really make a difference. the h pipe gives you more torque right? and as far as side exit i guess you mean the mufflers would be hooked stright to the crossover pipe and the the tips would go sright out the side in front of the wheels i guess?

any body else have any suggestions?

i was thinking about the flowtech afterburner headers anybody know anything about them? everything else he suggested sounds good to me :smile1:

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i believe they stopped making headers, but doug still makes them....i thought i remembered reading a post bout it on here a lil ago.

7. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

emmissions is just a visual check out here, is this truck supposed to have a cat, it is isnt it :( anyway its a big ol redneck truck and all the mechanics around here are bigger rednecks so i dont think ill have a problem :D at least not for a few more years but by then i can register it as a classic and be clear.

i know im not going to be getting an extra 100hp or anything i just figured since i have to do it any way ill do it right, and it'll sound bad ass. i should at least be able to feel a difference though shouldnt i?!?

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

All a bigger or more efficient exhaust system does is allow the engine to remove exhaust gasses a little faster, which is a good thing. The only problem with that is if you want to see a performance gain, you need to do mods that help the engine, to put it basically, produce more exhaust gasses.

Generally, you won't see a noticeable power increase from simply upgrading the exhaust on a stock motor.

9. 78Suburban

The rumble provides a placebo effect, second to none ;) . Even though a truck with a better flowing exhaust may not have noticable increases in power, the noise just makes it feel faster :p:

10. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

well thats dissapointing :( so i wont feel anything im still gaining hp though right, marginally. im going to do it anyway cuz itll sound great and thatll make me happy :) but eventually its probably going to get a 455 anyway and then all my exhaust work will really pay off :D

i just looked at the doug thorny headers they do seem good the warenty is deffinatly a + but i still think i like the flowtech's they claim the best of both worlds you get the hp increas and the torque increase. does anybody know anything about these?

11. 78Suburban

got a set of flowtech's in my old '66...... they are horrible. didn't fit worth a crap, thin material.... do some searching on here.. the general consensus is: you get what you pay for.. If I buy headers in the future, they will be quality, expensive ones.
    just my 2 cents..
    James

12. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

:( ive heard that so many times i deffinatley know theres some pretty bad headers availible but i am pretty dissapointed to hear that about the flowtechs, i really liked the idea of the torque and hp increase. is it all flowtechs or are the afterburners possibly better? btw does anybody know how much dougs headers are i didnt see a price?

thanks everybody