Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by August, Jan 29, 2006.

1. August

August Registered Member

Hello,

My 1980 Jimmy stock exhaust started to leak a little. Is there a particular system that will work good? What about to remove the cat?
    Stainless steel?
    Thanks,
    August

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can't remove the converter unless you have no smog to deal with, I mean NO smog at all. You can get into big fines if caught with no cat on.

Stainless IMHO is really only usefull if you are looking for a polished exhaust system or live in an area that has salt on the road. Aluminized works fine if you don't have to worry about rust.

3. August

August Registered Member

Well, about the fines, I live in Spain and here back in 1980 there were no converters. I can remove it no problem. I would keep it on the truck, but a 57.000 miles I think is a little clogged.
    I heard that stainless systems do not sound as good as aluminized ones, is that true?
    thanks

4. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Nope, not at all IMHO. At our shop we put stainless on and aluminized and never noticed a difference. I believe those are one of those exhaust urban legends. If you deal with rust a lot or just don't want to be putting a system on all the time then put stainless on. I put stainless on my blazer because I have no intention of changing it. There are two main grades of stainless, t-409 in a cheaper grade which will turn brownish color and is the main type put on factory systems now. T-304 is the polishable stainless that won't turn brown, but will turn gold due to heat (mainly out of the headers and around the convertor) but we have seen cases of t-304 stainless tips turning gold when pulling heavy loads and so on.

Flowmaster offers t-409 stainless mufflers on certain applications, not every muffler has the option of being stainless. Magnaflow offers every muffler as a t-304 polished, and actually isn't much more expensive. IMHO magnaflow mufflers sound the greatest with a convertor because of the smoothness they have with them, but everyone has different tastes.

5. August

August Registered Member

Ok, thanks. I can see a difference with stainless exhaust system, I think it´s worth to pay a little more.

Do you think there is any difference on the engine behaviour if the conveter is removed?

Thanks for all the info, is greatly appreciated.

August

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, it will run better and have a better tone at the tail pipe with it removed.

I don't think it's worth it to pay more for Stainless UNLESS you ONLY live in rusty climates.