Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EXHAUST?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer-Boy, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Blazer-Boy

Blazer-Boy Registered Member

I have a 72 K5 with a really crappy exhaust system. The headers are fine but I plan on getting new pipes and mufflers, but I dont know what kind of mufflers to get. I am seriously considering dual 40 series Flowmasters. I'm looking for a deep, aggressive tone. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
    Blazer-Boy

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Please fill out your profile......What kind of engine? Where are you located.....etc.

I've had 40-Series FlowMasters on my '72.....and didn't like them. TOO LOUD and OBNOXIOUS. They're good for attracting attention on the street.....but they attact the Police too...!

I switched over the 70-Series FlowMasters and I like them a lot better.

This is all on a Big Block motor with a lumpy cam.....if you've got a mild 350, maybe the 40-series wouldn't be too much.

Someone on this board might be close-by where you live. You might have a chance to listen to a set for yourself and decide.....gotta fill out that profile though, or nobody's gonna know where you are. [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome Blazer-Boy. 1st post huh.
    Always good to have yet another '72 K/5 on the board!

I won't go into how the flowmasters sound... but there was a post going around not too long ago asking pretty much the same question, and there is probally all the opinions you are looking for. Click <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=firstgen&amp;Number=285901&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1> Here</a> to read that post.
    You can also click <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/videoclips.msnw>Here</a> to hear my 3 chamber 50 series flowmasters in some video clips.

And fill out your profile[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    1972 K/5
    Ryan B.

4. Ryan B.

Re: EXHAUST? *DELETED*

oops! double post.[​IMG]

5. Blazer-Boy

Blazer-Boy Registered Member

Thanks for the replies...I think I'm gonna go with the Flowmaster 50 series. The 40's sound like they are a little too loud for my taste.

6. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

I think the 50s would be a great choise. I went with the 70 series on my small block 383. They have great tone, but I wish they were just a little louder. A little to tame for my taste. The 50s are also cheaper, an added bonus!

7. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Pop on over to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.classicalpontiac.com>www.classicalpontiac.com</a> and get a copy of the Silent Power CD. It has a lot of different mufflers and exhaust system setups complete with sound pressure data, all off of the same engine (streetable Pontiac 455 with headers). It is a must-have to compare exhaust system sound quality and sound levels.

8. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

So I'm still shopping exhaust (the FOR is taking longer then expected) and had almost committed to the Ultra-flows based on the Silent Power CD's most excellent test data.

Then I stumbled onto Spin Tech's mufflers which were designed by the Dr. Gas dude. They deaden sound by creating spin chambers (no packing to deteriorate). The sound level is based on the number of spins and the perforations in the spin walls. http://www.spintechmufflers.com/spintech/spintechindex.asp

I've had an on-going emial converstation with their tech guy, trying to get dB numbers from their truck/RV series but one point grabbed my attention. The SuperTruck series changed from the DynoMax to SpinTech because they were 5dB quieter and gained 10hp. Though these were race mufflers being compared, the technology appears to be more effective, so what's left to choose is how loud you want to run (you'll know that you're getting the best flow for the amount of dB you're willing to deal with). http://www.spintechmufflers.com/spintech/styleimages/index.htm
    NOTE: Spin Tech race mufflers look to operate in the same dB range as the Ultra-flows.

Here is an independent test on mustangs: http://www.v8productions.com/v8mtech/catbackshootout.htm

BTW: how do you make the website be a link from the post window?

72 Blazer; Disassembled for restoration; 383/350

9. Steve_Chin

Robin, check the FAQ link on the clickable links...

Thanks for the URLs.

10. Steve_Chin

Robin, I just talked with Tom Hand (who worked on the Silent Power CD) and he said that the Spin-Techs were among the loudest of the mufflers he tested. They sound very much like a Flowmaster, but are louder. He also said that they represent more of a flow restriction than the Dynomax or Flowmaster.

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I don't know flowmasters by series espically with the new delta flows. But I have 3 chambers on a 350 with 3.5" tips and it's loud at full throttle but managable at cruse. My brother had 2 chambers on his cherokee with a 360 and those were loud...sweet, but loud......

RYAN your link rules................ the burnout IS impressive!!!

The Red Beast

12. Ryan B.

Thanks brother. I appriciate it.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albuo19>MY 1972 K/5</a>[​IMG]
    Ryan B.

13. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

Yah, that's what Tom's spec sheet says:
    Muffler Comparison w/ 2.5 inch inlet
    =============================
    DynoMax Welded Ultra-flow w/ Xpipe
    Part # ------ 17513
    Dimensions - 4.5 x 9.75 x 20
    Air Flow ---- 101% of open pipe
    Sound Level
    750 ------- 71dB
    2200 ------ 88dB
    3500 ------ 89dB

Spin Tech w/ Xpipe (Early version)
    Part # ------ 3334
    Dimensions - 4 x 8.5 x 13
    Air Flow ---- 72% of open pipe
    Sound Level
    750 ------- 78dB
    2200 ------ 92dB
    3500 ------ 99dB

I'm not sure what the significance of the "early version" note is (I'm guessing it was a race muffler, they recently started to offer street versions) so while the loudness might be explainable the flow rate should be even better then the Utra-flows... unless the pulsing nature of exhaust can fool the flow measuring technique (which I don't remember how he claimed he measured this).

This is why I asked for numbers from the Spin Tech guy, and for the truck series there are none. This is a little frustrating because a lot of this is subjective. The Spin tech guy said that if I wasn't happy with their mufflers, I could return them. Maybe I should do my own comparison and see if DynaMax will offer a satisfaction guarantee. I guess the ideal comparison would include a Dyno or at least good ol fashioned strip runs (like that mustang link did)...

How do you get ahold of Tom Hand? Maybe he would do a round two??

72 Blazer; Disassembled for restoration; 383/350