Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhaust

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigtruck87, Jun 25, 2003.

1. bigtruck87

bigtruck87 Registered Member

Well the exhaust fell off my truck today, so i figured now is as good a time as any to put on a better aftermarket exhaust. i was think about the edelbrock T.E.S. headers. mainly because i live in N.J. and will have to pass an emissions test. i was wonder if anyone has used these and what they think? where to get them cheapest? or if anyone thinks there just and has a better sugestion?

after the headers i'd like to run 3in single with a high flow cat.

2. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I've got the TES headers on my 88' K5. Got em used for $200 and they had the AIR tubes in them. But since I was pulling out the AIR system, I cut off the 4 pipes and welded them shut. If you do have a stock AIR system then it wouldnt be a bad decision being that it bolts right up. However, brand new it's pretty expensive, over $400 I think. If you don't have an AIR system, I'd go with the Headman Elite headers, full length headers not shorties like the TES, won't rust on you, and they only cost $260 for the pair. Only drawback is that they won't bolt to the stock exhaust system so you'd have to bring it to a muffler shop and have new pipes welded on. Ok I've rambled on enough. Bottom line is if you don't have AIR, go with the elites, if you do, go with the TES. Hope this helps.

-forgot to mentinon, I live in LA so most inspection stations don't give a flip about exhaust as long as you don't have any visible smoke coming out the pipe which is why I yanked out the AIR system.

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

TES can be had without AIR....The exhaust fell off? Do whatever you want, depending on the emissions in your area.

4. bigtruck87

bigtruck87 Registered Member

well most of the exhaust fell off cat and back. doesnt the air injection help with the emission by adding air the the unburned exhaust gases and burning them off. because my that is the only reason i want to keep the air injection. i need to pass n.j. inspection. but if it doesnt help that much i'll scrap it and try different headers.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    well most of the exhaust fell off cat and back. doesnt the air injection help with the emission by adding air the the unburned exhaust gases and burning them off. because my that is the only reason i want to keep the air injection. i need to pass n.j. inspection. but if it doesnt help that much i'll scrap it and try different headers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Air injection with a cat will help burn unburnt gas.
    Without a cat like older mid 70's trucks will only convert CO to CO2.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif