Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhausting questions???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stan2d2, Mar 29, 2001.

1. stan2d2

stan2d2 Registered Member

I have a 1988 GMC Jimmy . I want to put on dual exhaust. Does anyone know if I should keep the emmisions or do away with them? I have the factory TBI and was wondering if it would effect the way it will run if I did away with the air tubes and air pump. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

2. No emmision testing in PA? If not then get rid of them.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

3. stan2d2

AZBlazeMan, thank you for your input.That is what I'm leaning towards. I'm just worried about the effect it will have on the TBI>

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 and debating the same... I have AIR... that is outta here... not even hooked up right now. I'm gonna go full headers (either flowtech afterburners or Hooker) and use flowtechs attachment for the O2 sensor... not sure what I'm gonna do from there back... no real kits in 2 1/2 that I've seen... may or may not run cats... Probably 2 Flowmaster 40 series and exit out the side behind the tires. If you find any good header back kits other then the dynomax let me know..thanks

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

5. stan2d2

I don't know of any kits but I would check into a local exhaust shop. The one by me charges about $250 from the headers back. It sounds like we're on the same page. 1988 Jimmy 350 TBI, edelbrock intake, spacer, blaster coil, 33'' BFG All-Terrain's

6. LittleJimmy

LittleJimmy 1/2 ton status

I would agree if you don't have emisions tests. Get rid of it you have more room under the hood also.. Later LittleJimmy...

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

well we just got rid of emmisions this year and shops still won't touch an 87 w/out cats... My buddy's race shop bends exhaust and he'd do it cheap, but that is about 30 miles away... no way I'm driving through Minneapolis w/ open headers.. hahaa, so would have to tow it which is a pain

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

8. stan2d2

Anyway of having the pipes bent up and doing it at the house?

9. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

What size exhaust would you guys recomend? I finally found some headers that'll fit my 305 and I'm planning to run straight pipe with no emmissions. Just wondering if I should go with a 3" or slightly smaller?

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

10. stan2d2

personally I'm going to go with 2 1/2in. From what I have been reading, if you ride around with your back window down alot or top off, you might want to consider having the exhaust exit out the side behind the rear tires.

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Hey stan2d2, where are you at? There's a couple of us from the Great Northeast around here!

As far as emissions goes, unless you've got a friend (and depending on what county you're in) don't pull any of your emissions gear. You'll fail the visual portion of the inspection.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jarheadk5 on 03/30/01 05:54 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

12. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, I like the air I breath but what the hell... You can keep your current cat, adn push a pipe thru it to bypass the filters. That would be better and still beat the visual portion. But again, I like the air I breath...

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimmy 350TBI-700R4-241-33" BFGs-10 bolts w/4.10's
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>