Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exhoust smells like gas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, Jul 17, 2002.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

My exhaust smells like gas and it's pretty bad when I stand behind the truck, what can I do, how to adjust? I have a 86 K5 with a q-jet and a stock 350 engine with a single exhaust and flowmaster, no cat.

2. bajaviking

Forgot to mention that it runs good, just really smells bad.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Has it always done this or just started?

If its always been like this, then you probably need to adjust the idle mix screws on the front of the carb (front, kind of underneath, plugged opening in later years) but of course, this is only for idle mix adjustment, not cruise or anything..

4. bajaviking

It seems like the last 6 months it has gotten worse. You mention that the opening is plugged on the later years, can I just unplug and if so how, or does that mean I can't adjust it. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

5. dyeager535

Means you just have to remove the plugs. You should be able to see them, there will either be two cup plugs on the front lower part of your carb, or two openings, (if someones been in there) with an odd screw head inside.

Getting worse, I doubt its the screws, they shouldn't move on their own, if they did, they probably would have in the years since the truck was built. You've probably got something else going on, perhaps a float that is starting to take on fuel (they are plastic, so they can become fuel soaked) or just that passages are starting to get clogged up with carbon, etc.

You've made sure all your plugs/wires look good I presume? Misfiring cylinder will give you all sorts of grief and gaseous smelling exhaust.

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Or your Q-Jet could be starting to leak from the bowl plugs. When it starts, this will make the motor run rich at idle because that is when there is the most vacuum to suck fuel out through the leaky plugs. If it gets bad enough, you will start to foul plugs.

7. bajaviking

Thank you for the information. I checked your website and looked up the q-jet information, I liked the exploded view, helped me understand a lot of things about this carburator. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. dyeager535

Glad you liked it. Unfortunately, I've run just about out of space, and I can't fit more good info on there : (