Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhuast Gurus! Engineers! Izuzu Amigo and the California Emissions Exhaust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 74k5inVA, Jun 26, 2002.

1. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

HELP /forums/images/icons/confused.gif The g/f 92 Amigo needs to have a new exhaust system put on from the cat back. Midas, Meineke, and all the other chains want close to 500 dollars to put one on. It is because of the special heat exchanger going between the cat and the muffler for CA emissions. Well i don't live in cali. If i just put in a normal pipe between the cat and muffler in won't screw up this "truck". I can't think of what is so special about this exhaust that makes it so damned expensive. especially when the same store put the exhaust on my s10 for 80 bucks from the cat back.

2. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

ttt- can't i just put a normal straight pipe between cat and muffler? Izuzu just quoted $450 just for that part. What the hell were they thinking. lets charge more for an expendable part than the blue book on the car.

3. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

Re: Exhuast Gurus! Engineers! Izuzu Amigo and the California Emissions Exha

well if i were in your position i'd put a straight pipe in it...and if you fail your emissions test when it comes up, suck it up and buy the heat exchanger...

4. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

Re: Exhuast Gurus! Engineers! Izuzu Amigo and the California Emissions Exha

no emissions testing here, just the standard safety inspection

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Heat exchanger? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif
    Are you sure it isn't a resonating chamber?
    A resonating chamber is just like a LARGE (as in 8") section of pipe that is about 18" long. Is that what you have. I've never heard of a heat exchanger after the cat...

The only other thing I could think it could be is another cat?

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Sounds to me like a resonator. Put on a straightpipe and be done

7. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

If you dont have an emission test i would just put in the straight pipe and be done with it.

8. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

resonator? Maybe, I am not an exhaust guy. from the cat here is what it looks like. From the cat you have the normal(big pipe) that curves back around and comes in the front of a muffler (because they are side by side). On the large pipe is a smaller pipe that runs along the length of the larger pipe. it opens into the larger pipe at both ends. So, maybe it is a resonator. What are they for. I managed to get the exhaust off yesterday and where the two pipes meet had come apart so i braized it shut, do you think it will hold?