Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhuast Idea...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jul 2, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but in some pics I've seen I have seen trucks that are in deep water, and they're exhaust pipes get drowned by the water. So since my blazer is going to be my bogger/rock crawler, I was thinking sort of a custom exhaust set up- routing it up as high as I can, and then when it gets close to the rear have it pop up from the bed, into above/below where the taillights are. Then they would be fairly high to stay away from water if you stall.
    The only thing I don't really know is how high I can get it up with all the drivetrain and being narrowed eventually. But if it went along the frame, and at the very end, come up through the bed, and curve out into where the taillight mounts like I said, and come out 2 inches or so from there. This may sound bizarre because I haven't been under the trucks for a while, so I don't know where all the drivetrain is for the routing of the pipes. What do you guys think?

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

sounds pretty tough, it would look badass, kinda like those old mustangs withg the exaust coming out of the rollpan, its always cool to do suff nobody else does, if you can pull it off go for it /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Why would it look bad? You can hardly see it, the only thing you can see is the 2 openings of the pipe above the tail light /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

bad ass like in good dude good idea go for it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ooh. I get it. I can't do it until I get everything else done. I am just "planning"

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I think he meant bad as in sweet.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ooh woops... sorry /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

8. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

that would be realy easy in a truck and it would look
    BAD ASS /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    but under a blazer it might be tight /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Today after work I am going to crawl underneath and see how much room I would have... then I also have to remember the doubler will be in there eventually.

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why waste time doing that when you could just run zoomies. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why waste time doing that when you could just run zoomies. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Or big ol fat stacks coming straight up and out of the bed! I'm thinking about routing my exhaust in the Blazer straight out of the wheel wells before the rear tires so when I'm in snow the heat from the exhaust will melt the snow from my tires for more traction. Plus when I pull up to a ricer I'll be able to melt all the plastic body panels off /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

what are zoomies /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

come on, you guys know alot more than me, you must have an input to if this will work or not and if you have suggestions for it!

14. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

zoomies are the type of headers used on top fuel dragsters, mud boggers, etc. Either sticking out the side, or up through the hood.

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

oh, I can't do that:
    out the side would be just asking for a rock to hit.
    out the hood would be killing my vision /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

16. TruckNutzDude

My vote stays for stacks through the bed following the sides of the cab. Make sure you get the nice chromies with the stainless heat shields so nobody gets burnt /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Here's a link stackage!!! bling bling

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I can't have stacks- I have a k5. And they look to industrial for me /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

18. TruckNutzDude

For some odd reason I thought you had a pickup... /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif The only real way to route the exhaust on a blazer is to go straight back between the frame rails until the frame bends up for the axle, then bend them outside the frame and exit. For your idea there would be a lot of very tight bends and the heat from the exhaust would melt the plastic for the tail lamps. I'm going to turn my exhaust out of the frame right before the wheel opening and turn it down at a 45*. My other option is just to have open headers and turn downs, but that's highly illegal in this state /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yeah I need to look at it for space. With all the tight bends it will start to restrict the flow of exhaust. I may or may not do this...
    Taillights don't matter, this is a trail only rig. If they melt, I'll buy some red plastic and put it over the light bulb... boolaa-instant tail light /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

20. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    Taillights don't matter, this is a trail only rig. If they melt, I'll buy some red plastic and put it over the light bulb... boolaa-instant tail light

[/ QUOTE ]
    I actually meant the plastic that holds the light in will melt. Unless you plan on using a snorkle, having the exhaust that high is kind of pointless. You're more likely to have water enter the carb than the exhaust /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Build a snorkle first /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif