Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exhuast routing with shackle flip

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by johnnyK5, Mar 15, 2002.

1. johnnyK5

johnnyK5 Registered Member

I like my tailpipe to exit behind the rear tire. Is this going to be a problem with the 4" shackle flip?

2. I had to take my truck back to the exhaust shop after doing my flip to have a slight bend placed in the passenger side pipe. Pretty minor change and depending on how yours is, it may be fine.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Johnny,

The "odds" are against you on that one....you can try it, but it will be a big pain to get the kit installed with those outlets there (they'll prevent you front getting the leaf spring dropped down enough to get the drop bracket and shackle in there....

Plus, even if you get it in there somehow.....your odds of hitting the exhaust against the springs when offroad is pretty high.

For my shackle-flip, I cut the exhausts off just above the rear axle housing....installed the kit, and then just had new ends welded on that went out the back. You can see the pics of what I did in my "Gallery Page" in the link below.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. johnnyK5

Greg, Im not really concerned with cutting mine off for the install. In the long run though I would like to keep them parrallel with the axle close to where they are now. How far do you think I will have to move them back? Thanks.

5. Greg72

Johnny,

The problem is that if you try to make them exit out the sides, you don't want to route them between the framerail and the leaf spring. The shackleflip is going to give you more suspension travel and there's a good chance you'll "CRUNCH" the tailpipes between the frame and springpack.

The only suggestions I would have are to either dump the exhaust out in front of the rear wheelwells, or get them far enough back so that they are directly below the rear shackle hanger.

I just ran mine out the back....I know that's illegal in some areas, so you may not be allowed to do it that way.....

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'd recommend chopping the end of your exhaust and then routing it out the side in front of your rear tire. If done correctly, you wont lose lots of clearance and it'll never get in the way of your suspension again...

J

7. johnnyK5

Hmmmm. Looks like I might be looking at just a spring lift. I can't sacrifice the sweet sound of exhuast smacking off cars to the left and right as I idle down the alley.

8. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

i ran mine between the frame and spring pack. works great and never even comes close to hitting.

rearshot

the sideshot is kinda hard to see because of the 'lift lips' but its 3" pipe and turns 90* at the rear and exits.

hope this helps

rob

9. jekbrown

if your rig is all about show, just put blocks in the rear to lift it. If you want performace, shack flip that bad boy. Your exhaust will sound fine,

J

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

A good guy with a bender should be able to get it to go out the side but not interfere with teh suspension. It's not easy but it will go. I've run mine in front of the shackle before with minimum problems. Check out Fox's UAV exhaust too, his worked out pretty clean too.

11. johnnyK5

Thanks for the pics. I was just checking window tint laws in Pennsylvania when I ran across a notice that shackle flips in excess of 2" may soon fail inspection. -(in Pa.). So I am more than likely going to go leaf lift.

12. jekbrown

man that is lame. Is there any question that Penn is one of the worst states in the union to live in if u r a wheeler? I had friends from philly and stuff when I was in the marines, so I know its a decent place in other respects... but all the lame lift laws they have are just dumb.

J

13. Stephen

I'm little curious about the lift law thing, who decides that a flip in excess of 4" of lift is bad? Stuff like that really hackles me up. Some dumb ass desk jockey somewhere decides that lifted vehicles are unsafe because they're bigger than his damn geo and boom there it is.
    When it comes down to really stupid stuff like a 4" flip being outlawed it gets really bad. What's next, can't have longer front shackles at all? Tires over 35" are illegal? Rear blocks are illegal? (try running your stock ford or dodge through inspection then!)
    I should go back out to the shop for a while, this is getting me too worked up.

14. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

a wise man once told me that sawzalls and hammers cure all clearence problems/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

15. Greg72

They work on "desk jockeys" too..... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

16. Stephen

Every once in a while when I've been behind my desk too much I get out a hammer and sawsall and what do you know, Greg's right, it solves my problems!