Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exide or optima

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DERBINATOR, Feb 15, 2001.

1. DERBINATOR

DERBINATOR 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with the exide orbital battery? It seems to me to be pretty much the same thing as an opitima.

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    The insides are the same , the parent company, has been sold, and the licencesing agreements let the Tecchonlogy manufactured by more than one company/label .

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Whether the label says Exide if it was made by them or not, DONT buy anything with the name Exide on it. I used to work at the Exide plant in Salina, KS and just to give you an idea how everybody made the batteries, THEY TOOK NO PRIDE in manufacturing them. Too many "short cuts" or "just good enough" were NOT my impressions of a good battery. Maybe its just me and the Salina plant, maybe the other plants around the nation are better, I dont know, but its just my opinion and I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER EXIDE BATTERY AGAIN!! They seemed to make more blems than others. Just my .02 and opinion on one plant. I have had too many problems with the plant and the batteries from this plant, so NO MORE!!! Maybe you will have better luck with your batteries from a different plant.

4. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

What about Exide battery chargers. Do they manufacture them with the same "lack of pride"? I have one that's about 2 years old and it works fine. It has a nice combination of features...2/10/40 amps, 6 or 12 volt, and it's automatic (charge tapers off as the battery charges). Should I expect it to fail prematurely?

Actually, since I just bought a brand new Optima battery, maybe the charger will just sit on the shelf for the next 10 years.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

5. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Screw them both. I have a Sears rangehandler. 2 year free replacement 100 month prorate. Can't beat it. Who cares if Optima is a gell cell, what good is that going to do you on the 13th month? None of them are deep cycle unless you get a exide marine or the deep cycle optima. If you cycle the rangehandler too deep, just get it replaced. Problem solved

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez</A>

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Exide Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Left me sitting one to many times.
    Dealer would not honor guarentees.
    Never again.
    Wal-mart batteries are a far better battery.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Thunder is another testimony for me.
    Gandolf, I dont know about the chargers since the Salina plant did not make those there.
    Yeah, Exide lives up to its name when they dont honor warranties either. They also had a reputation of "not taking care of the employees". Seems like everybody in the offices dont give a sh!t who you and I are. Guess thats why ANYBODY could walk in at the Salina plant and get hired on the spot. NOBODY that I know of ever retired from the Salina plant. Too many of them quit, get fired, etc. They dont care if youre sick or not, if youre not there, youre fired!!

8. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I've had a thought about this to, In the past i've had an Optima and abused the hell out of it and the only bad thing about it was hard to recharge but all in all a very good battery. As for the exide i think they have only 700 cca as to the Optimas 800 or so. As of lately i've been thinking of doing duel batterys and i can't aford 270.00 in red tops so for now i'll most likely get the Champion 4x4 1000cca for about 50.00 at Sams Club. but if i had the green i'd get the Optima.

Lost? i'm not lost i'm just disorienated

9. northgate

northgate Registered Member

Check out the new Delco "Absorbent Glass Mat" battery. It is called the Professional Platinum. AC Delco has always made killer batteries, and this one already tests out much better than the orbital batteries. You can find them at the AC Delco website.

10. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I've had an Exide battery for almost 3 years now, and no problems. I even drained it once due to an alternator failure, and it's still working fine. Mine has "heat guard" and a 7 years warranty. Don't know if the dealer will honor it yet.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]