Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exo...bed-off

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nkldrgr, Feb 7, 2005.

1. nkldrgr

nkldrgr Registered Member

I want to pull the bed off my '71 long bed and tube-out the back. Good idea or bad idea??? Ideas anyone. I have some had drawn drafts, but no Cad. Anyone know of any pics out there? Interested to hear what cha think.

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I would "back half" it if I were you, shorten it up and get rid of all that rear overhang.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Planet Earth doesn't need any more moon buggies...

Seriously, if you're driving something as cool as an early 70's Chevy find a way to preserve the style of the truck, try not to just hack off the offending parts and throw them away.....

What about building a rear cage within the existing bed (maybe shorten the bed as suggested?) and then widen and deepen the wheel tubs so that larger tires can stuff into them without a problem. Use the cage points to connect long travel shocks to the rear axle if that's your objective..... you know, stuff like that.

I'm always a lot more impressed with a truck that still LOOKS like a truck after it's built. :usaflag:

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

HHHMMMMMMM, agreed. Maybe just bob the bed and do somesort of cage.

5. nkldrgr

nkldrgr Registered Member

Yeah, I hate to hack the truck. I just don't know how to do a good job bobbing the bed. It seems like it'd be difficult to keep the body lines. Any suggestions? Should I start a new thread on how to bob the bed on an 70's pick-up? Anyone know what would be a great tubing bender for under a grand??? I am in the market. Thanks

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

ProTools M105 or M105HD or the JD2 benders are all good benders and would be WELL under a grand.

The "cost" is in the dies for the bender. If you start collecting dies in various sizes (like I did) those can run you $200 ea., and that's where the cost really starts adding up. If you only want a single die and a bender, you're probably only in the $600 range delivered.

http://www.pro-tools.com/105.htm