Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exo cage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surpip, Jan 4, 2005.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

how do you do it with out connecting it to the frame? Where do you tie it to the body at? Ill have 4X4 iron rockers so on the sides im set, but what about the front and rear?

2. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

i would mount it between the body and the body mounts if it where me but i realy couldnt tell you frome there

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

attach it to the bumper in the front, then at the rear go all the way back to the rear bumper, or just extend a mount from the frame, and weld it to the mount.
    Exo cages dont tie into the body, they go around the exterior of the body;hence, why its called exo. If you were to tie solid tubing into sheetmetal the sheetmetal would most likly stretched or crack.
    From what I can see you will have to attach it to the frame, whether by welding, or welding a plate to the tubing, then bolting the plate to the frame. Or you could built mounts simular to body mounts, but extend wider and weld them to that. It has to attach to the frame somehow to be sturdy enough.
    A few weeks ago there was an exo cage thread, look at the pics to see how it goes together.
    Good luck Dale!

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

welll, i dont want to tie it to the frame, thats why i asked "any ideas on where to tie it to the body?"

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay sorry my mistake:(
    Maybe someone more mechanically inclined can pipe up. I can't figure out how to attach it to the body... :o

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Wherever you attach it to the body, make sure you use a big plate on both sides to make sure you don't tear through the sheet metal.