Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exo-Cage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DriveTime, Aug 16, 2002.

1. DriveTime

DriveTime Registered Member

I'm considering creating a cage on my 81 Silverado, but I don't want to do an internal cage. I don't like the idea of ripping out my whole interior after recently installing it. My question for you noble posters is what size tubing should I use? I'm thinking maybe 2" with a wall around .120" Do you guys think this will be strong enough, or should I go with a thicker wall?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That should be more than strong enough for a well designed cage. </font color>

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

exos are seriously ugly and the body gets in the way of most of the diagonals that would be the strength

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

no way! exos are sexy as hell!!

/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I gotta say that I like exos too. Ugly isn't neccessarily a bad thing.

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Registered Member

I love the look of an exo-cage but man you are going to be the widest thing that has gone on a trail short of a hummer. You won't squeeze through those trees and rocks! Smash /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif , bang /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif , crunch /forums/images/icons/grin.gif , just tear through them /forums/images/icons/confused.gif . Just a thought.

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I think EXOs are nice too but the really dont save your body that much since you can't get any cross bracing from one side to the other. In light flops they hold up pretty good but in vicious rolls they deform just like any other cage, and worse sometimes. Of course, if it's welded good, it'll still save your life, but dont think that your truck will be pristine still. I almost went exo for my truck, but i thought the fullsize was wide enough as is. Put an exo on and you're almost hummer width.

8. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I'm toying w/ the idea of an exo my self---but not in the basic sence----so far ive come up w/ this-----do an internal cage for the cab (the cab is basically the widest part anyway, why make it wider----im gonna take off the front fenders and basically make the fenders outta tube but connecting through the cab. the only thing left will be the hood, but it will be cut like a "V"(like Juanblazer) the rear of the truck will also be connected to the "cab cage" but i have a nice complicated idea for that all but theres the "idea" so far.

9. DriveTime

DriveTime Registered Member

Width isn't much of an issue to me. Not much rockcrawling is done here in Arkansas. I stick to mud most of the time, but I do some light trail riding. You may ask why I need a cage then? First, I think they look awesome. But I also would like to have something to hold on to other than the roof. Aside from that, the cage would provide enough protection from trees to suit me fine. I'm also toying with the notion of removing the front clip, or most of it at least, and constructing the rest from tube and maybe filling in the gaps with something like diamond plate. Something along the lines of what the hybrid guys are doing when they put 44s on their rigs with little or no lift at all.

10. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I just finished my cage, it's not an exo. Since I didn't have a big eough welder and I don't really trust my welding when it comes to safty, I bent all the tube myself, tacked it, then hauled it down the road where a profressional welded it. He's been making cages for race cars, drag cars...etc..
    Which brings me to my point....
    The standard size in the industry is 1 5/8" chromoly (it's not THAT expensive, about $3-5/foot depending on who you are and who your buyug from..), which he says is more than strong enough. I came by with my 2" (o.d.) and he thought I went way overboard. The second he said that, it made the fact that I had to special order 2" o.d. tubing make sense, I could never figure why no one had 2"od in stock. Anyhow, he also had to custom make the seat belt plugs, as his were only 1 5/8" in length and didn't get to both sides of my 2" tube...

BlazerMan