Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ExoCage / Roll cage Tie in?

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by Sandman, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I have been planning on doing a partial front and rear exo cage with a full interior rollcage. It would make things easier if I tied them together but am unsure of how that would affect the body flex, etc.

So then I though about a complete exo cage, leaving the body free. But in a bad rollover I would not want the body to break free and squish me into the cage.

So, right now I'm looking at a separate exo system and a roll cage that are not connected. I would like to connect it all though.

Any Thoughts on this? Thanks.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i think full-on exo would be best. If you're worried about the body seperating from the frame at high speed, why not just connect the body to the frame in more places? people do this for interior cage systems, but i dont see any reason why you couldnt do it just to beef the connection between body/frame... basically be just adding some more body-mounts. Im not sure how often k5 bodys fly off the frame anyway in high speed crashes, but if its a problem, 2-4 extra body mounts oughta solve it... right? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Im really thinking about doing this myself when I do the s-10 cab swap... there are only like 4 body mounts factory, but Im thinking of adding atleast 1 more perside just to be super-safe.

j

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

i have always thought tieing it all together with body bushings between bolted sections.

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

This is a truck, but a good example. Cut a hole in the floor and run the main hoop and kickers to the floor. Or get a bushing in there and bolt it to the body too. You could even tie the seats in in the same fashion.

[​IMG]

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You could do a variation of what I did for my truggy truck cab. Remove the "C" channel sheet metal support from the bottom of the floor in the second mount position (behind the seats). Replace it with a piece of 2 x 3 x 0.188 square tubing and let it come all the way through the side. Attach your rock sliders to the end on the bottom. Attach the exo b-pillar to it an inch or so inboard of the rockers (to reduce hanging), and attach your interior hoop to the floor on top of the cross bar. Similar things are done at the front mount to attach the front of the slider and the a-pillars, it just does not go all the way across due to the trans.

Your K5 has the rear foot well which will change things, but it should be adaptable. If you don’t want to do the major surgery to the floor, you could probably do the same thing in the rear and the front. Attaching both the external in internal cage would make a strong cantilever even if it does not go all the way across. Seems like over-kill to me with both internal and external cages, but this should work. If it were me, and I wanted an exo, I would just make sure the body was mounted to it as described above (instead of body to frame) and who cares if the frame breaks away. In a catastrophic roll like that it might even be a blessing to eject all that mass. With the cross bar like I did, it would be all but impossible for the frame to come up through the floor, and with body, seats, and belts attached to a well built exo (mine is sort of an exo/indo) you would be just as safe IMO.

6. Sandman

I think what I'm going to do is a regular internal cage with like an external lower cage so I can slide along the rocks. Basically tubing fron the front stinger to the rocker guards that will be sepatate from the body and attached to the frame with a loop over the cowl. Then going back to the rear bumper.

I would like to also protect the windshield frame without going full exo, I'm not certain how to do it. Maybe I'll just saw it off. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

My cage has protected my windshield in several flops and some hard hits/grinds into rock walls on several occasions. I *NEVER* expected my windshield to last this long! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    But in a bad rollover I would not want the body to break free and squish me into the cage.

[/ QUOTE ]
    If you build the cage right how is the truck body going to get out of an exocage and let you get squished?

9. Sandman

There is no roof.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I would like to also protect the windshield frame without going full exo, I'm not certain how to do it. Maybe I'll just saw it off. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

just out of curiosity, why not just go full exo? i know u dont wanna, but why?

j

11. Sandman

I still might. I'm on the fence.

Going to start doing some mock up's and see what would be the best approach.

12. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Where's the pics allready! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

13. Sandman

Soon. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was going to take some when I took it out for a short test drive this last weekend but it hardly stopped raining.

It doesnt look that great with tiny tires and a bucket for a seat either. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This weekend I plan on finishing the rear and then I'll get some tires on it with some pics. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

14. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    There is no roof.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ok, guess this pic is a little outa date
    [​IMG]

15. Sandman

Yeah, it is. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif