Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Exp Pro Comp MX6 monotube VS. Bilstein 5100

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mini_mull, Apr 1, 2007.

?

Which shocks should I run?

Poll closed May 16, 2007.
  1. Exp Pro Comp MX6s

14.3%
  2. Bilstein 5100s

57.1%
  3. don't know, I still use crappy twin tubes

7.1%
  4. I don't use shocks and ride nekkid

21.4%
  1. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Almost time to pick shocks. :D If you run either MX6s or bilstein 5100s please post up and let me know what you think. I'm looking for the best ride on potholes and bumpy dirt roads possible. I'll be running a basic setup w/ 4" EZ ride TCs and DIY4X flip in the rear. I'm sold on the monotubes, but I'm not sure which ones. Thanks.

2. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I have the 5125's on the rear of my truck. VERY good shocks for the money. I was going to go with the 5150's but they came with the same valving and were $25 more. I do 85% crawl, 10% street and 5% go fast and they are perfect for me.

I was looking into the MX6 for a jeep thats in the garage right now and even with a price hookup they were still in the price range of the bilsteins. its a no brainer. hmmm, crappy procomps that are trying to hang with the big boys that have been in the desert racing business for who knows how long. OR the big boys for the same price.

Even if you want to step up in shocks I think bilstein is the way.

I think you get what you pay for in shocks----and in the case of MX6 and 5100's you get a whole lot more for the little bit more you pay for the 5100's

4. SCOOBYDANNN

Long story short----haulin ass down a dirt road, look back no one there---get to the end and wait. finally someone shows up and says--"damn, i (the other truck)was going 60-65 and slowing down for the cattle guards." i don't know how fast i was going but i didn't slow down for the cattle guards. I fact i jumped a couple----smooth sailing if i do say so myself.

5. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Good to hear. I was leaning toward the bilsteins because of the good rep, but needed some reassuring. They sound like just what I am looking for. If you're only running them in the back, what do you have in front? Remote res, coilovers?

6. SCOOBYDANNN

sway a ways--emulsions--coilover ready.

havent decided if im going to link the front or back first.

7. SCOOBYDANNN

if you go with the bilsteins go through MAD 4wd---they have always had what i needed in stock and treated me awesome.

whatever you do DO NOT go with shaffers offroad---complete a-holes.

8. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice. $72 is the best price I've seen on 5100s. Depending on shipping costs, I'll probably use 'em. Never even heard of Shaffers?

9. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

My vote is Doetsch Tech monotube 2.0 smooth bodies. $110ea, custom valved for application, owner rebuildable, optional reservoir. Check the cut sheet below for more info.

[​IMG]

I will admit that I haven't run mine down the road yet, but so far I'm very impress with the value.

[​IMG]

10. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

mrK5, those sound awesome. I love the rebuildablility (is that a word?). I wish you were running them already, so you could give me a first hand account.

jms, thanks for the input. Guess I can't really go too wrong either way, but the bilsteins seem like the no risk way to go for my app. BTW, love your avatar and website.

11. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'll be able to give a pretty good assessment because I drove the truck down the road about 1/2 mile Monday WITHOUT shocks. It was crazy the truck was oscillating around just going straight with no bumps. I'm anxious to see now what it'll be like with the shocks installed.

moneypit runs the same Doetsch Techs and likes them.