Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Experience w/ Whipple Supercharger System...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by marv_springer, Nov 5, 2004.

1. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Any input... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gifpositive / negative /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Thinking about one for my 94 TBI Tahoe.

Marv

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no experience, but I'd sell the TBi rig and buy a Vortec one. Everything I've read IIRC is like 350 HP with a blower on TBI, a stock Vortec truck has almost that much. Stock TBI motors just plain stink and puting a blower on one is just making it what it should be from the factory to me /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Stock Vortec truck is 255 HP, 350 is a huge jump from there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh I've had 3 fuel injected rigs. 1 tbi with 4l80E with 4.10 gears, 1 vortec with 4l80E with 3.73 gears, 1 TBI with 465 with 3.42 gears and the vortec rig is by far the most powerful. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I just searched and all I came up with was this http://www.sporttruck.com/howto/1472/ whipple installed on a TBI 454 making a whopping 250HP.

5. wkasak

wkasak Registered Member Premium Member

I have had a Whipple Charger on my '89 Blazer for 6 years/60K miles now...no problems, and gained about 100hp. Actually the extra power will cause problems with 1/2 ton parts like transmissions/re-end gears...I have replaced both because of the added power between the engine and large tires...It surprises many people when taken for rides... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Definitely recommend...

6. marv_springer

Walt,

This is great..../forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Exactly what I wanted to find:

I have some ?'s for you:

1) Do you have a "boost" gage? How much pressure is available? 5-6 psi?

2) Do you go thru emissions testing....? If so, have you ever had any problems w/ this system going thru?

3) You ever tow w/ this truck? Any heating probs when towing?

[ QUOTE ]
    Actually the extra power will cause problems with 1/2 ton parts like transmissions/re-end gears

[/ QUOTE ]

I was anticipating this.... I'm thinking of adding the following items at the same time to make it all work:

4L65E four-speed automatic (LS-6 405 HP) transmission, Stock Engine Goodwrench, 5.7L 350ci V8 Gas Engine - 5.7 Liter 350 V8, 1987-95(TBI) trucks, vans, heavy duty, 4 bolt main (8600GVW), and a 14b semi-floater 6 lub rear end.

Thanks for your help in advance....

Marv

7. wkasak

1) Do you have a "boost" gauges? How much pressure is available? 5-6 psi?

Answer: Yes, I have a boost and fuel pressure gauges. Under full throttle is will reach 6psi at about 4k RPM...right before it shifts.

2) Do you go thru emissions testing....? If so, have you ever had any problems w/ this system going thru?

Answer: Yes...Maryland has emissions testing every two years. I have passed many times without a hitch. I failed the last time because of no catalytic converter...not the charger /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3) You ever tow w/ this truck? Any heating probs when towing?

Answer: I do not tow, however, I don't see it even being an issue...I do have a trans cooler installed.

The whipple has been worth every penny I paid, and came as a totally complete kit...nothing else needed other than tools.

8. wkasak

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

HEY MARV!!
    i guess about a year back when ya were talking bout a new taho ya decided nto to huh?

i think ya have a good idea though. instead of trying to find another thing you like, stick with what you like and freshen it up a bit.

good luck with it. also hope to see some updates on the TB soon... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Grant

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have had a Whipple Charger on my '89 Blazer for 6 years/60K miles now...no problems, and gained about 100hp. Actually the extra power will cause problems with 1/2 ton parts like transmissions/re-end gears...I have replaced both because of the added power between the engine and large tires...It surprises many people when taken for rides... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Definitely recommend...

[/ QUOTE ]

How far are you from Hanover Pa and do you ever get up this way? I would like to check out your K5 and see first hand how the SC is.

11. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    4L65E four-speed automatic (LS-6 405 HP) transmission, Stock Engine Goodwrench, 5.7L 350ci V8 Gas Engine - 5.7 Liter 350 V8, 1987-95(TBI) trucks, vans, heavy duty, 4 bolt main (8600GVW),

[/ QUOTE ]

Marv,

If you are going to buy all of this, why don't you just find a 5.3/4L65E in a 99-up truck. They seem to go fairly cheap now, and 285HP out of the box ain't bad.

12. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What, exactly, are you going to be doing with it?

An LS1 will get you more power and more torque than a TBI motor with a blower on it. And an LS1 swap will be cheaper than putting a Whipple on a TBI motor. It'll also get you more power.

I've only seen a couple Whipples in use. The more recent one is my cousin's buddy's 2001 Firehawk. One of the oddball f-bodies that got LS6 blocks. Started with a bone stock Firehawk (well, had the SLP junk) and stuck a Whipple on there. I don't think it was the 3.3L one. Anyway, 6.5psi. He said it got the same mileage as stock. Went from something like 309 rwhp to 415 or something crazy. Ended up blowing up the rear axle (shot the pinion through the bottom of the case) after putting Nittos on it and later twisted the driveshaft. Last I knew he was running 16lbs of boost with Wiseco blower pistons and the T56 [censored] the bed on him. I only rode in it once just before the T56 went AWOL and it was the kind of vehicle where you actually needed a shift light.

Someday I'll have me a Whipple... but I won't waste it on a cast iron SBC.

13. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Hay Marv. I do have experience with the compressors but not on GM products /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    I have done lots of systems on NSXs that use that compressor, as far as reliability WAY better than the Eaton style. The Vane style is a little quieter, and depending on the style less reliabale than the screw as well...
    As I said though no real Whipple/GM knowlage more Import racing knowlage with them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. marv_springer

Wow!.... thanks for all the responses/opinions./forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    What, exactly, are you going to be doing with it?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I want a tow vehicle/daily driver. I love my little 1/2 ton Tahoe! It's comfortable, doesn't rattle, easy to work on, has 160k miles, and has a stellar maintenance record so far.... I just know that if I keep towing w/ it - I'm gonna start cooking parts - and I could use some more torque/power on those hills.

So, the idea is... instead of plunking down the $$ for a D-max, plunk down the $$ for a system/truck that I know/like and go from there. I only tow about 3-4 times/year, and my buggy is light - so my total trailer/rig weight is prolly half of what is typical for fullsize guys. I'm looking to maintain the 15 mpg (empty) for street driving, and still have some torque under my foot when climbing the hills.

[ QUOTE ]
    An LS1 will get you more power and more torque than a TBI motor with a blower on it. And an LS1 swap will be cheaper than putting a Whipple on a TBI motor. It'll also get you more power.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Is this true...?!/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif At 5.5 psi boost, I estimate that power output levels will be 440 ft-lbs/3000 rpm and 325 Hp/4000 rpm. Am I outta line here....?!?

[ QUOTE ]
    285HP out of the box ain't bad

[/ QUOTE ]
    Agreed..... but I'm of the opinion that the S/C motor would have more torque @ 3000 rpm than a 5.3L. Again.... am I wrong?!?

Thanks for all who have contributed.... I'm seriously on the fence /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif...

Marv

15. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I estimate that power output levels will be 440 ft-lbs/3000 rpm and 325 Hp/4000 rpm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats sounds to me to be a bit generous for a TBI Small Block. I have no experience with superchargers, so I really have no idea. I think that you could get that power, but you might want to think about starting out with a 96-up Vortec 350 for the better heads and induction. I suggested going 5.3 because I have seen them sold for good prices, but a 6.0 litre would also be a good choice and they have 300 HP and 360 TQ, and I think with good intake/exhaust improvements that would improve, and would be a nice combo in a Tahoe. I have driven my Dads 2500HD with the 6.0 and am really impressed.

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Superchargers only plus is they are a fairly easy bolt on power adder. You dont have to tear your engine apart to make power. But they are expensive.
    If you are after the best HP per dollar I dont think they are worth it.
    Most SCs will add at least 75 or a little more HP to stock 210 hp TBI. And give a healthy torque boost. Because TBI is a MAP system you are limited on the ammount of boost you can run.Therefore limited on power also.(You can get 2 and 3 bar MAP sensors from Holley that read up to 30 PSI of boost if you want to make more power. Theese require some ECM tuning tho.)
    You can get the same ammount or more reliable power with some good heads, cam, and intake, and some TB mods for a lot less money and still be able to meet emissions.
    HCI and Tb mods will cost around 1500 for the parts. Thats about 1/2 the price of a whipple SC.
    I dont think there is a whole lot out there as far as SCs for TBI. I know Whipple and Weiland/Holley make them. Of the 2 I think Weiland/Holey is a little cheaper. Whipple is prolly better quality. Vortec used to make a S-trim for SBC TBIs but I dont know if they stil do.

I have nothing against superchargers. I am just giving you some options. If you have the bucks and a day you can bolt on a nice chunk of power with one. If you are more on a buddet and have a little more time. Then HCI may be the way to go.

17. CyberSniper

I think a twin-screw or roots blower is right up your alley by your description. They make boost down low whereas a Vortech doesn't start to make a different until 2800rpm.

A Whipple twin-screw is probably your ideal choice if you don't mind plunking down the money. I'd call them up to see if you can bolt it onto something else if you ever choose something besides TBI. Like say, on top of a Gen 3 smallblock.

TBI can only make around 320hp. The biggest injectors are off 91-92 454SS trucks and only flow 100lb/hr. There are some other injectors that they used that flowed 90lb/hr and could deal with higher pressures better so you can actually squeak a little more flow out of them. Anyway, doing some math, that amount of fuel can only make about 320hp.

Depending on the year of your truck you might have to address the 700R4. It'll want a little more line pressure to help with the added low-end torque. Otherwise it might slip too much when it shifts and bite the dust on you.

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

NA motor cannot hope to compete with a blown one
    a positive displacement blower will have the motor exceed 100% VE as soon as the blower is spinning fast enough to exceed internal losses
    almost the instant the throotle is open to feed it
    you MIGHT get NA peak numbers to look comparable but you will never get the fat torque curve of PSI motor
    boost is the quickest and cheapest way to make power

19. CyberSniper

Depends on the motors you're comparing. An LS1 makes more torque at 1200rpm than a TBI 350 at 5.5-6.5psi. Most roots or twin-screw blowers don't start making peak boost until 1500rpm. Even if you didn't have a bypass it's probably still a drain on the motor until 1300rpm.

Twin-screw is definitely the way to go but it also costs $3500 to get your foot in the door.