Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Experience with Detroit fronts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trailblazr81, Mar 13, 2007.

1. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Im thinking of going the detroit locker route with the front of my K20. The rear k20 is locked, and I put manual hubs in front. Now Ive never locked a front axle before so I would like some input from those who have done it. First off this is not a DD. I use it to go to dump, boneyard, parts store, and wheel. I mainly do the trails, mud, sand, and maybe a little snow up in the mountains in the winter. On the street I hae rarelly noticed a rear locker unless I gun it in a turn. Now Im thinking it should be fine in 2wd with hubs unlocked and in 4wd the locker should allow tires to turn at different speed while turning unless Im getting on it. Detroit lists the locker as having:

Smooth operation - even in front drive steering axles.

Whadya think?? :confused:

2. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

High speed detroit front 4wd and snow is DANGEROUS :wink1:

3. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

In 2wd you cant notice the detroit front

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

d60 or 10b/44? ive got one in my 60 and i love it!

5. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Mines a 44HD. I keep an eye out for 60's at the boneyards.
    And I understand front lockers are No Bueno on icy slush covered roads but why bad in snow? I would think it would be great for deep snow trail runs.

6. user

user Registered Member

I've been doing a lot of reading about that, lately, 'cause I'm upgrading mine, too. I've selected the Eaton Detroit Truetrac and am avoiding lockers entirely. I don't want to have to deal with the changes in steering and use of the gas pedal. If you aren't really familiar with how those things affect the truck before you get into slippery conditions, my impression is that you will definitely wreck the truck. four wheel drive isn't the same as four wheel stop, especially on ice & snow.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Mine is welded and it was 90+ here today. Offroad mine is great but I cannot run with slugs or hubs locked on the street as it will not unlock like a detroit.

I have no experience with ice or snow (see above) but if I had the money I would go detroit in the front in a heartbeat:D

Ira

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I believe the previous post meant that a front Detroit is bad for running down the highway when there is snow on it. Yes, for deep snow it is a lot better than an open diff.

I've ran several different trucks with open, limited slip, and locked front axles and for on slick snowy roads I definitely prefer an open front diff. For off-road then definitely a locker.

9. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

For your use i think a locker is an appropriate choice. With the hubs unlocked it won't affect operation of the truck at all. The diff itself will be stronger with the detroit than with a drop in locker. You should probably carry spare shafts for your D44 and look into some upgrades if you plan to keep that axle.

10. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

with a detroit up front, it would be nice to have assist for ease of steering with it engaged. same if it was welded or had pretty much anything besides a limited slip