Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Experienced 287,000 Watts today!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by u2slow, Sep 9, 2003.

1. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

They test-ran the backup genset on my jobsite today. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

http://www.domusliving.com/

Mitsubishi 12.0L inline-6 diesel. 300kW output. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

http://www.generac.com/PublicPDFs/0160390SBY.pdf

For the load test they brought in a pickup truck with what looked like a high-top canopy. The high-top canopy was actually a resistor bank/cooling fan unit with an assortment of guages on the passenger side. The ran it at 287,000 Watts for 5 hours. The entire parkade felt like a sauna. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Its one thing to point at some powerlines and make a claim of how much power they provide... Its an entirely different thing to hear a semi-tractor engine hauling ass and actually making this electric blast furnace roast out a whole parkade level. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It was wild. I had to share. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Put more Wattage, in your Cottage? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Tim The Tool Man Taylor would be proud... Can you say "More Power"?

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I used to work at a place building Gen-Sets like that. No matter how often I saw it, it was still impressive to see a 12.5 litre Deere spool up and max the load bank for 10 hours straight.

The max size set we used to build was 275 kilo watts and that was the load we put on em for the 10 hour load test./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The 275 KW's were mostly 'prime power' units for camps and stuff in the oil patch.

Also built quite a few 'custom' gen sets for "Cash customers". RCMP would usually show up a few months later asking about the customer that bought such and such gen set. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

It's cool aint it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I was building a backup computer facility for a large company last year. This baby put out 2 million watts. It was simply awesome. The engine is 3000HP Cummins diesel, it has 4 turbos and it made this power at like 1800RPM. I Think it was something like 60 Liters displacement.

When we tested it we put the full 2 megs on it. It barely knew the load was there. The load banks melted the snow in almost the entire lot around the unit. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's a picture of the exhaust in relationship to the size of my hand. I could dang near fit inside the exhaust stack. And I'm a big guy.

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Aren't they cool! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I use to work at Caterpillar for a couple summers I helped design these
    There were 6 at $1million each /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif They're to power a cruiseliner in Findland /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    The bottom base was something like 2' tall and 24' long and I designed it to a 2mm tolerence. These things where huge. There is an ABB DICK generator between a forward rotation and reverse rotation 3612 V-12 Turbo desiel motor with sea water aftercoolers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    BAD ASS /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Caterpillar in Lafayette, IN us to do all the gensets. They moved that area to NC about the time I left. We use to see some crazy stuff go threw.

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Floor assembly crew asked 'Who designed these tubes, we want to speak with them!'

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hmm, sounds very familiar /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. tRustyK5

Most designers need a good bitch slapping now and then. I ask to speak to the 'designer' often enough too...for some reason they don't want to see me in person.

I love it when they spec + or - .010" tolerance after welding. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Better yet is when they have a reference dimension off of some invisible and theoretical center you can't hook a tape measure to. Geez Einstein, that was useful...

Sorry...rant mode = off

All better now./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

10. kennyw

[ QUOTE ]
    I love it when they spec + or - .010" tolerance after welding. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a Design Supervisor that wanted to re-use a piece of linear rail for a high precision application once. I thought no problem, build a new frame, stress relieve, then machine... right?

Answer: "no money for that, just cut the piece of flat bar off the old machine, weld to new machine and shim flat/straight." (linear rail is bolted to machined flatbar on old frame weldment) Needless to say I parted ways with that "Quality Fab Shop" /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I am typically the designer that is bugging the fabricator on how they would build this or that. Helps me design something the way they would build it plus I learn how to build things for myself for future projects /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. tRustyK5

We use tons of linear rails on our tooling...old linear rails we use a parallels in the fab shop./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Your old boss sounds pretty damn cheap. I'd love to see the inspection procedures at that shop...prolly uses a tape measure to check the machined parts for tolerance./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

12. kennyw

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd love to see the inspection procedures at that shop...

[/ QUOTE ]
    [Standing from 10-50 feet away] "Looks good"

[flips power switch on] "Ok that works"

[signs off on equipment]

Everything was for in house production use so everything was to be done cheap and done yesterday. Maintenance spent more time fixing problems than the fab shop ever did building anything. Oh well I did learn a lot of good stuff being that close to the fab & machine shops.

Everyother job I have worked on the fabrication and machining are all farmed out. Only saw the assembly end or occationally saw the in house machinist do some rush jobs.

13. tRustyK5

The job we're building now was designed for use in Europe. All dimensions in metric which is just fine, except all the material is also spec'd in metric. 100 mm x 100 mm x 6 mm HSS tube is great stuff, except we can't get it in under 8 weeks and it costs triple what 4 x 4 x .250" HSS costs.

4" = 101.6 mm. Close, but far enough off that I have to re-figure almost every dimension.

Most ironic part? The designer is in Plano TX and knows we can't readily get metric material...and they wanted the job yesterday. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Making it work isn't rocket science, but it is tedious and time consuming looking for all the ramifications of slightly different material. Mostly it's a waste of time.

Rene

14. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I like it when they fire those things up, they drink lots of diesel, which = big $$$$$$ for me....

Some of them need larger tanks though. I don't like the ones that need filled twice a day, at like 1am......

15. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

On a diesel mechanic's tool box;

IF IT DOESN'T FIT, FORCE IT!
    IF IT BREAKS, THEN IT NEEDED TO BE REPLACED
    ANYWAY!

Gorrilla /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif