Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Experienced welders: LOOK HERE

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AZPiNsTrIpEd, Feb 27, 2006.

  1. AZPiNsTrIpEd

    AZPiNsTrIpEd 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2005
    Posts:
    289
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    3/4Tonsville
    How old were you when you first learned how to weld, and who taught you(unless self taught)? I'm 21 and really getting the itch to buy a welder and just start playing around with it. I wasnt lucky enough to have access to one when I was younger or else I'd probably be building my own cage now:mad: . So how how do you guys suggest I get my feet wet so I can eventually build my truck how I want.
     
  2. thezentree

    thezentree 3/4 ton status

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2003
    Posts:
    7,198
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    NC
    I'm taking a GMAW class at my local community college, and it's unbelievably awesome. We've done a lot of SMAW so far to try and get us started, since all three of us (yea, there's only 3 people in my class) are beginners, but we should start with GMAW this week. I'm gonna try and certify with either process, maybe both by the end of the semester.

    If you have the spare time, I HIGHLY recommend taking a welding class. Our shop is a semester old, and we've got a ton of nearly brand new machines. Chances are your CC will have some good if not great machines too, so if you wanna learn, learn to play with the big, cool toys.
     
  3. BranndonC

    BranndonC 3/4 ton status

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2002
    Posts:
    8,591
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Anaheim, Ca
    24 when i started and i still dont know how correctly
     
  4. AZPiNsTrIpEd

    AZPiNsTrIpEd 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2005
    Posts:
    289
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    3/4Tonsville
    Thats encouraging:haha:
     
  5. ChickenRammit

    ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2005
    Posts:
    3,186
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    FONTUCKY, CA
    pretty much everything thezentree said is what you should do. the colleges will show you everything you need to know. i would suggest enrolling in a welding class before you go spending money on a welding machine that you know nothing about. if you take a class you'll be educated on what to look for in a welding machine.i spent three semesters in a welding class and got a los angeles welding certificate, and theres still a ton more welding procedures i want to learn.
     
  6. MTChevy

    MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

    Joined:
    May 6, 2005
    Posts:
    7,141
    Likes Received:
    78
    Location:
    Great Falls, MT
    started 2 years ago in welding class in high school, almost 18 now and i still suck
     
  7. tx_sub

    tx_sub 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2004
    Posts:
    548
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Denton, TEXAS
    I got my first welder at 16? Then I started working at a fab shop after highschool and summers between university. Then I took a class at my university and spent 500 + hours building MY mini baja car. Learned the most from the guys at the fab shop. All I can say is practice, and it really helps if you have a patient teacher, or your job depends on it :confused: . I love glueing steel.
     
  8. tRustyK5

    tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2000
    Posts:
    36,166
    Likes Received:
    1,364
    Location:
    E-town baby!
    I was 21 when I went to community college for welding. Got tired of dead end crapola jobs...been welding 19 years now. To be more accurate I spent the first few years just welding, and about the last dozen or so doing about 95% fitting/fabrication and the other 5% welding.

    I'd recomend taking a course. It's the best way to learn IMO, plus you get to learn a wide variety of welding, cutting, gouging that you just wouldn't with a small home machine and some free time.

    Rene
     

Share This Page