Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

expert advice needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schlechto, Nov 10, 2001.

1. schlechto

schlechto Registered Member

Hi, I have a 1987 GMC Jimmy 4x4 with a 6.2L Diesel. Unfortunately the body is a piece of crap and I need a whole new tub. Does anyone know If I can swap bodies with a 1979 4x2 Blazer that has a gas 305. If I could, could I keep my fenders and front clip? Thanks for looking.

Ben

2. buzzk5

buzzk5 Registered Member

sure...anythings possible , it just means more nutsanbolts to undo , it should go but is best if
    have a whole parts truck, does the 2wd body have the floor pan that bolts in??...guys put newer
    bodies on older rigs easy enuf ,...be ready to switch around lots of small stuff ...good luck

Dave
    80K5 on ice

are they all spinning?????

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

tubs from 78-91 can be swapped and will line up with the cab mounts. However you will need to do some work on the seats to get the 87's to bolt to the 79 tub. 79 used a flip foward passenger seat and I think yours slides. Might be some issues with rear seat also. If your wanting to run your 87 front clip you will need to do some mods to the cowel to accept the newer style hood hinnge but nothing real difficult. You will need to swap the windshiled wipers parts also. on the 79 the hood extended all the way to the base of the windshield and the wipers tucked under the edge. on the 87 there is a seperate cowl peice that the wipers go through so it needs the longer parts to work.
    Where you get into a problem is trying to swap tubs built pre 78 with 78 up. Before 78 there was no rear seat passenger foot wells. Frame was different in that area also.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper