Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Explain Sand Blasting...?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Mar 22, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Can somone explain to me sand blasting? The equipment needed, the process, cost, etc?
    Maybe pictures? Thanks

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Think mechanical stripper. Hight pressure air goes past an orifice creating a vaccuume. This draws the sand up into the air path where it is expelled from the gun w/ the hi-press air. By regulating the air press and changing the media (sand, glass beads, crushed wallnut shells) you control the amount of meterial removed. It takes a large volume of air to do a good job.

3. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

you'll need an air compressor with a decent size tank, the gun, the sand cup or tank, and the sand.

4. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

Instead of buying all the stuff for media blasting, a lot of shops around me rent them out for the day at very reasonable costs. You still have to buy whatever you're using to blast (soda, sand, etc) but you would have to do that anyway...

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

On top of all that has been listed you'll need a few more things.

If you are planning to do large objects (frames etc.) then you'll need a 'johnnie space commander helmet', a set of heavy overalls, and some heavy gloves with drawstrings on the wrists. Most of the hoods for exterior blasting come with an attachment for a breathing air hose. DO NOT use air from your compressor for this. You do not want to breathe what the compressor puts into the air and a filter/dryer/watertrap is not enough to remove it. Find something like a GI gas mask that has the filter attached to a pants belt and use that.

If you're planning on doing smaller stuff like intakes and what-not, then you'll want a cabinet. For the cabinet to work well you'll need a vacuum system attached to it. Do a google search and I'm sure you'll find diy pages on blast cabinets.

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I sanblasted my frame. I set up a kind of booth in my garage by stapling heavy plastic sheeting to the ceiling around the frame. I bought a sanblaster from Sears. It was less than $100. I already had a compressor to hook it up to. Sand is pretty cheap but you will need quite a bit if you do a large project. I used a high quality face mask filter, long sleeved shirt, goggles, and wore a BB hat. One of the problems I ran into was venting the dust out of the booth that I created. If you live on property and can do it out of doors, that would be a lot better. You can kind of see the booth and the frame here in the frame restoration section: http://community.webshots.com/user/douglasgrant It is a very time consuming and dirty job. You should ask around at media blasting shops to compare costs. If I had to do it again, I would consider just having the frame media blasted. But then again, I now have the sandblaster and will probably use it for other projects. I used it on my rear axle before painting it.

7. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Watch TRUCKS! this Sunday Stacy is having the Bronco body Blasted and they talked about what is needed to do the job. The other guys have it right but sometimes a pic is needed you know what I mean /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If your looking to Blast some stuff Eastwood company has a lot of the stuff you'll need.

Eric

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I just have a simple gun that came from harbor freight for cheap. All I do is stick the suction hose in a $8 sack of blasting sand I get from the hardware store and blast a way. I did four rims for my Dad last summer with less than one bag of sand so it don't cost to much.

9. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

I bought a blast cabinet from Harbor Freight that works really well.
    I also bought their pressurized sand blaster, but I haven't used it yet so I can't tell you how it works.

I will tell though that none if them will work worth a darn if you've got any moisture in your sand or in the air. I'm running a single stage compressor with a 60 gallon tank with 3 filters on it and still gets moisture through because it runs constantly trying to keep up. I really need a 2 stage compreesor or at least a good drying system.

10. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I have the gun on the top...McMaster-Carr

[​IMG]