Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Explaining Santa to the kids

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mrk5, Dec 26, 2005.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'd never really thought about this until it came up in one of my night classes.

Do you perpetuate the whole Santa Claus myth or do you just basically tell them the truth?

Personally I feel that Santa Claus is more of an idea, or embodiment of the Christmas Spirit. So in a way I believe in Santa because I believe in the spirit of giving when it comes to Christmas time. I think more about being thankful for all the things I have during the Christmas holiday then I do at Thanksgiving. Maybe you could say that the spirit of Santa works through all of us when we put those gifts under the tree.

Then there's the fun of seeing my son's excitement over the prospect of Santa coming to visit and leaving him presents, leaving the milk and cookies, trying to stay awake in hopes of seeing Santa, and all the other mystery that I remember as a kid.

Some of the people in my class had told their kids the "truth" about Santa. Not sure if they still gave gifts with Santa's name on them. Others in the class carried on the typical Santa tradition.

What really made me think about it was one of the ladies was talking about how upset her daughter was that her mother had "lied" about the existance of Santa. However I don't remember being upset about it.

Then you watch a movie like Polar Express, and it makes you think about believing in Santa.

What are some of your thoughts and/or how have you handled it?

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Santa is Santa until they ask. IF they ask. Then we'll prolly just go from there. I don't remember having a talk with my parents. I think the concept just kinda dawned on me at some point in time.

I'm thinkin it had to do with the fact that the Santa presents were commercial just more lavish than the presents from family.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

First thing I told my kid was that Santa is dead and there is no such thing as the Easter bunny...

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i remeber beliving in santa.. and i loved it.. sure i was a little dissapointed when i found out that he wasnt real... but, i wouldnt trade those memories of me and my brother waking up in the morning and seeing all those presents under the tree from santa...

If i have kids, ill let them belive in santa... Its a tradition that has been gonig on for many many moons.. And i think that all this politically correct horse ****, that has people changing the way we have done things for years, is robbing children of lots of memories that we cherish. ex..... exchanging "merry christmas" with "happy holidays" changing christmas tree to holiday tree?... i mean gimme a damn break...

5. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I remember the exact circumstances when I realized that there was no Santa. I put the pieces together and solved the puzzle myself. I remember talking to the parents about it and their explanation. I have never had any problems with it.

It all depends on how the parents handle it when the time for an explanation is due.

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Santa is just like every othe iconographic being, God, The Resurrected Jesus, Zeus, Odin, Easter Bunny, Shiva and all the others.

In the abscense of the flawed proof we all go on, belief is all that keeps them together. Manifestation from belief is a pretty cool idea, psychogenics and whatnot, but it all comes down to believing in a figure/thing/person. Maybe someday someone will take up the mantle of any one of them and the combined belief will make that person that figure anew.

Of course, a prerequisite of most iconography is non material existance. Kids beleiev in Santa the way a lot of people believe in Aliens.... among other things...

7. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

That's exactly what I was thinking as I was typing down my thoughts.

I think I will take the wait til they ask aproach.

I wonder if the lady in my class whose daughter was so upset about Santa being a lie had always made a huge issue of lieing in any form. Then all of a sudden there was a huge example of her mother lieing.

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

My girls (just turned 8, and a 3 yo) still believe. I figure there are plenty of years for them to 'know" there isn't one.. so I want to let them enjoy it for now. Let's face it.. the hard cold facts of life rears it's ugly head enough as it is... may as well let them enjoy it while they are kids, and it's OK.

I'll probably tell the oldest one in the next year or two.. unless kids at school pick on her or something. So far it hasn't been a problem. I think she sort of has her doubts.. but I go the extra mile, and I think this years she believes as much as she ever did. I don't see any harm in it.

When I figured out there wasn't a Santa (pretty young) I never felt "lied to" ... I personaly think that's a bit much. Some kid who takes that attitude is probably going to be some whiney problamatic adult anyway.. that's just a glimpse at the future. I simply understood that it was meant to be something fun to believe in.. and then later just understood that my parents bought all the gifts because they loved me..

A hard cruel world, isn't it... :rolleyes: