Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EXPLODING CUMMINS DIESEL!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 82GR8WHITE, May 1, 2003.

1. 82GR8WHITE

82GR8WHITE Registered Member

Hey All
    A buddy and I were shoot'n the sh!t the other night and he told me a story and a half. Appears that a buddy of his was at diesel tech school when they had a cummins diesel explode on them. This is not the "doged" cummins but the semi size cummins. As was explained to him, when the engine was turned off inorder to be worker on, the truck experienced blow by, or suck by I guess, where the compression of the cylinders suck oil up passed the rings from the pan. Normally a diesel is rev limited by the mechanical fuel pump. But, when the engine sucked up the engine oil, the engine was nolonger limited and it reved and reved until all the oil was used. The engine exploded /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif, sending the flywheel through the roof of the shop. No one hurt, they had plenty of time to leave but apparrently there was no way to stop the engine. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    Quite the story huh!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    anyone have something similar,
    Confirmation?

2. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm, "suck by"? Sounds like someone was "stretching the bubble gum" a bit on you.

Closest thing to that I could believe would be if the fuel soleniod malfunctioned. Then you couldn't shut the motor off. I just don't see that the area over the pistons could "suck" anything. Diesels don't have a throttle plate so if it did suck {create vacumm}, it would just suck in air from the intake system.

Dunno though, anything is possible.

3. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Yeah, heard of that before. Called a run-a-way. Engine starts feeding on it's own oil for fuel. Only way to stop it is too block off the air.

When my dad was a generator mechanic in the army (late 50s-early 60s) they ran across this. Had a two stoke supercharged GMC that was started with rags in the blower. Twisted the drive shaft off the blower and the resulting vacuum created by the motor sucked enough oil past the rings/valve guides to allow it to run with out fuel. Due to limited air it just chugged along and smoked heavy. Had to throw a 2" thick manual over the blower inlet to finally choke it off.

Also heard other large diesel mechanics that have seen/heard of it before. Apparently they had a large one run away and take the rear head assembly off! Then keep running on the remaning 3 cylinders. Some of the large motors use multi piece head assembles.

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Not too uncommon! I'm a 63S in the Army today and I've heard 2-3 maybe 4 stories of the Detriot V8 Diesels running away! Some of them even run backwards! THe only way to kill it is on the backward one, someone put a 3" manual in front of the exhaust port flat and it sucked the whole manual up into the exhaust pipe! It happens, really no big deal, they're built to run, however that may be!

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I've heard of that happening before as well. I know of one case of an engine being over-filled with oil in the crankcase, causing it to get sucked up through the CDR, causing an overrun with the same result: flywheel gone through the roof.

The Detroits are notorious for runaways. This is usually caused by the fuel system. My dad has an old 2 cycle 238, and it ran away on us, but we managed to shut it down by choking the intake. When you shut down one of these old Detroits, the fuel rack rests in the full throttle position. If you don't start it for a while, the rack sticks.....in the wide open position. You start it up, it goes to full throttle, and you can't shut it down. Quite scary.

Casey

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A generator place I worked at had a John Deere 4045 run away, but it was caused by an error made when the injector pump was worked on. It went boom pretty good...once it started to run away nobody wanted to be anywhere near it to try and shut it down.

That motor was brand new and only ran for the time it took to blow up...LOL. The boss was pretty pissed off.

Rene

7. Diesel Dan

That's probably why they call'em a runaway.
    RUN A WAY FROM IT!

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

There is one more way for them to run away, when stupid drivers decide to tweak the governor and let the RPM's get passed the point of no return, I have seen it happen in a big rig, the driver was injured but survived.
    The truck and engine sure didn't.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I was overseeing the replacement of an injection pump on a Duece ana Half. On the initial fire-up the old Hercules went full throttle. After scrambling around checking the throttle linkage, we tried the "block the intake" technique. Pure black fog poured out the exhaust. (We found out later there was an extra hole on the back of the air filter housing). More frantic shouting and troubleshooting took place. The four bay shop was now pitch black even though the 15 foot door in front of the truck was wide open! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Finally we cut the fuel line (after mistakenly cutting one of the return lines). The old Herc stuttered to a stop. I had to practically crawl to get the other bay doors open. Took a whole bag of floor sweep to clean all the diesel fuel off the floor. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

We had huge diesels on submarines, a runaway diesel was something we trained for. Never actually saw one do that though. I work at a power plant now and we have had an emergency diesel blow up in the past several years. This diesel is about fifty feet long and 20 feet high (we have 6 of these on site). The rod and piston came apart and came out of the side of it. It did'nt make it through the three feet of reinforced concrete though /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

11. Diesel Dan

[ QUOTE ]
    We had huge diesels on submarines,

[/ QUOTE ]

So you guys were the ones they made "Down periscope" after /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

12. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

"Down Periscope" which one was that? Kelsey Grammer?? the comedy? We had a diesel but only for backup really. We had a nuclear reactor and nuclear MIRV warheads. Plenty of "comedy" onboard - it just wasn't funny at the time.

Hey are you interested in a Duramax w/ Allison trany and transfer case for $7500, I talked to the guy tonight. He bought a rollover and decided he had too many projects.

Mark

13. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Dang! I'm glad I put the little disclaimer in about anything being possible. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

14. Diesel Dan

Yup, right movie. Diesel sub being stalked by nukes.
    Dmax/ally for $7500, good deal. But I think my cummins will do just fine for less $$$.

15. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

No you want the dmax... yeh yeh

by the way i know someone that will take that cummins off your hands! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. Diesel Dan

[ QUOTE ]

by the way i know someone that will take that cummins off your hands! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang, I'd be all for that, except my engine hoist just broke /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    "Down Periscope" which one was that? Kelsey Grammer?? the comedy? We had a diesel but only for backup really. We had a nuclear reactor and nuclear MIRV warheads. Plenty of "comedy" onboard - it just wasn't funny at the time.

Hey are you interested in a Duramax w/ Allison trany and transfer case for $7500, I talked to the guy tonight. He bought a rollover and decided he had too many projects.

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

Man if it were a couple of weeks earlier I would have taken a bite at it.
    I just bought a house a couple of days ago so no goodies for a few months until I readjust to the payments.
    But now I have lotsa room for my projects: 3 car garage, 11' wide RV access covered for 50' and 25x40 space in the back with a tool shed.
    There will always be more engines later.

18. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I worked in the oil and gas industry for a while and the big thing you had to watch out for was getting a big diesel powered drilling truck around a blowing gas well. The diesel engine starts running on the natural gas and there is no governor to slow it down. It will run as fast as the internals will let it until it comes apart. There were a few occasions that numerous articles of clothing were stuffed into the air intake of trucks. Some just blew all to pieces.

Chris