Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

exploding starter question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert79K5, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

okay so heres the deal.

I have a c10 with a 700r4 and origionally a 6.2 diesel. I put a 350 gasser in place of the diesel.

When I started it up this afternoon the first time it turned over nice and fast... the second time I cranked the engine the starter dragged like the battery was discharged and the third time I cranked the engine the starter made a loud grinding noise. I looked at the starter and the nose of it had broken completely off and was lodged in between the flexplate. I pulled the starter off and the flexplate teeth don't appear to be damaged.

This was a slightly used 350 that I put in this truck and the starter motor had been on it for a while. I never removed the starter I just dropped it with the engine and everything in the truck.

Is it possible that I needed to shim the starter and this was the problem even though it had started the engine probably a hundred times before? Is it possible that the flexplate could be warped and causeing this? I would hate to put a new starter on there just to have the same thing happen again?

Does anyone know the procedure for checking to see how much you need to shim the starter?

I was really looking forward to driving this truck... I hope its not anything too crazy going on....

Thanks in advance for any ideas. :) :confused:

2. short sub

short sub Registered Member

hey man- i work at a partstore on the side and i see this happen sometimes. its either a problem with the shimming or your motor "kicks back" is the only way i can describe it. usually with the nose cone broken like u described i would lean towards the motor kicking back- maybe could be timing. also when you purchase a starter- through us at least we supply the shims with it and a tool that gives you the correct space between the flywheel and the starter drive- its a simple little spacer that gives you the right gap. if there is any oreilly's around go there and they'll have the starter supplied with shims and the little tool plus its got a lifetime warranty so if it happens again or decides to go out youll be covered.

lata ryan

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

The motor "kicking back" is when you have your timing too advanced and the piston wants to go back down the cylinder before reaching the top of its stroke.