Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extended Auto Warrentys

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Anyone delt with any of those extended auto warrenty companys ??? Who would you recomend ??? Links please.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I bought one from Trans South on a car I bought once and when I traded the car in on another car they let Me transfer it to the new car.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yup my mom got one of those for her car, it covered evry little thing on the car, they are worth it if you want to keep the car nice, im not sure on what company she got but I know she liked having it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I went with Warranty Direct.
    They offered the best warranty for my LS1 which covers replacement of "wear-n-tear" parts like pistons and rings etc.

Check them out at Warrantydirect.com

5. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, from my experiances...bought a F-150 with 36k miles, got the extended warranty (non-factory) i kinda balked when i saw it was $800...but let me tell ya, that POS went thru 2 tranny's in 50K miles. Well worth it in the long run. By the way, it cost me 1500 to rebuild that POS AGAIN after the warranty was up (No, I did not drive it hard, never towed more than 500 lbs) i think it was just a POS tranny (mazda 5 speed)

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

We bought our straight from GM , got a card in my wallet and all . Kinda one stop shopping , used Chevy (2003) , from a Chevy dealer , GM warranty , and extended warranty . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

They are good, but usually twice as much then a dealer. If you get one out side of the dealer, just check to see if they will pay by credit card and if you can go to any autoshop. Oh, make sure they cover what you want covered also. Most the time, if you buy one from the dealer, you have to take it to that dealer for repairs.

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Be sure to check out the deductable amounts of the policies you're looking at. Be sure to read what is not covered. Most extended warranties will pay for the repair but not the "shop supplies" or fluids involved. I've seen extended warranties pay for a water pump and labor but not the antifreeze, cleaners or silicone required for the job. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

It may not sound like much but a lot of people are surprised when they find out the warranty repair they think is free actually cost them the deductable + supplies.

Also, don't assume these policies will pay for every repair. Many times these policies are geared towards covering only essential items like the drivetrain, safety items, etc but it may not cover things like a upholstery or paint issues and maintenance items (timing belts, brake pads, etc).

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Right now we're just looking for one that covers the powertrain. (Engine, transmission, and computer) Just need the high $$$ items covered. We're okay with a $100.00 to $500.00 deductable.

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Hey man,i can respect you want to take care of your investment,and its your own buisness, but i NEVER do the extended warantee,heres why=It usually happens like this= buy the product, and buy the extended warantee.Own the product ,it works fine, but your still paying /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif 2 yrs go by,the product is still under warantee, still working fine..............3 yrs go by and you just maxed out your warrantee,no more warrantee.......2-3 thousand dollars(or however much) has been spent on the warrantee and the tranny goes out................its gonna be 2 grand to fix it. Wouldnt you have rather spent the money on the repairs right about then? Im sure there is a flip side, but i dont know if it equals out to me......just my 02,Jake* /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey man,i can respect you want to take care of your investment,and its your own buisness, but i NEVER do the extended warantee,heres why=It usually happens like this= buy the product, and buy the extended warantee.Own the product ,it works fine, but your still paying /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif 2 yrs go by,the product is still under warantee, still working fine..............3 yrs go by and you just maxed out your warrantee,no more warrantee.......2-3 thousand dollars(or however much) has been spent on the warrantee and the tranny goes out................its gonna be 2 grand to fix it. Wouldnt you have rather spent the money on the repairs right about then? Im sure there is a flip side, but i dont know if it equals out to me......just my 02,Jake* /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I'm looking at a 4 year / 100,000 mile extended warrenty. $500.00 deductable. It'd be $77.00 per month for 12 months. I'm debating for a few bucks more getting the bumper to bumper warrenty, and a $300.00 deductable. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif