Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

extended brake lines with 4" lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazn83, May 5, 2007.

1. Blazn83

Blazn83 Registered Member

Are they required/neccessary? Dont plan on flexing my truck much (mostly mud).

2. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

mine aren't longer and i have 4" suspension. i've had noproblems withmine flexing either

3. morcav

morcav Registered Member

X2, as long as you don't plan on extreme flexing then you will be fine, just make sure to disconnect them when putting the lift on:D

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I didn't think I would need longer brake lines with my 2 1/2" lift, but after my last wheeling trip in Las Vegas a few years ago I put them on. Even with my 2 1/2" lift I could have played my right front brake line like a guitar string a couple of times. I did go a cheaper route then buying the braided lines though. I bought brake lines for a '88 or newer c1500 truck. they bolted right up and are abotu 4" longer or so then than stock ones on the K5. :D

Part #'s: H38620 for the left front and H38621 for the right. Hope this helps.

Rick

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Use your existing lines and just install the drop brackets. Much cheaper if you don't want to spend the money on some good stainless flex lines.

6. rick88blaze

I thought about doing the drop brackets, but my brake lines needed replaced anyways. They were pretty dry rotted. :D

Rick

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Napa #38872's They are like $15-20 each.

I have them on my truck with a 4-5" lift and they work well. My shocks do limit my travel some but I have never had a problem. I installed the Napa lines after I had a set of Superlift 4" SS lines blow apart at the fitting near the frame. The lines were installed by a professional mechanic and were only a couple months old.

I have had the Napa lines for 4-5 years no problems.

I also found out that the stock lines didn't offer enough flex with my old 2.5" lift so that is why I bought the SS lines. Then the SS lines failed and now I have Napa 38872's.

Harley

8. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

Would these or other lines off another Chevy fit a 1977 K5?

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

There was a slight difference in Banjo bolts between some years. They will work if I remember right but you have to slightly modify them or something.

Harley

10. 86454K30

86454K30 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Brake lines

I have in the past put 2wd brake lines of the same model/year but 2wd on a couple rigs. They are considerably longer. The only down fall is they have a bracket wrapped around them for when they attach to the control arm on the 2wd. They are cheaper than SS and work well. I put them on a truck with a 6" and they had plenty of length.

11. rick88blaze

I just pried open the bracket that was on mine. It came right off with no damage to my brake lines.

Rick