Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extended Brakelines

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Aug 19, 2000.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

After a short flex test, there is no doubt about it, I need longer brakelines. I'm going to get the Skyjacker ones, because thats what the offroad place that I like carries. Heres the question, should I get the lines for the 3-4" lift, or 6-8"? I have a 4" lift. The guy from the offroad place measured the lines, the ones for a 6-8" lift were 8" longer than stock, they didn't have the shorter ones in stock, but I assume they are 4" longer than stock. I plan on pulling the swaybar as soon as I get these, and sometime not to far in the future getting the 9012 shocks, thats why I'm not sure if the 4" ones would be enough. Thanks for the opinions.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R, 15x10 Bajas

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Somebody! Anybody! Really, somebody must have a 4" lift, the swaybar disconnected, and 9012 shocks. I just want to know how much longer than stock yor brakelines are! Is that too much to ask?

Brian

3. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

i have a 4"lift...no new lines, butif you do the math..the 6" lines would be the best bet. if you buy lines for the 4" lift...they dont take into consideration that the swaybar would be disconneted. so if the swaybar is diconnected, it will stretch more than the 4" extended brake lines intended them to. so the 6" lines would be correct if your going to disconnect the swaybar. would you rather have a little to much line than too little?...just a thought
    Kelboski

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I would definitly rather have more...but the longer ones are 8" longer because they are for a 6-8" lift...thats pretty damn long.

Brian

5. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

then there will be just an extra 4" of line in the fender well....you might be glad you have the extra length one day? i'd get the 8" ones if i were you....and i'm glad you brought this up,i need new lines too
    Kelboski

6. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I guess you're right...whats it matter if there's some extra line in there. Stainless steel won't strech either. Thanks dude.

Brian

7. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

sure man, good luck, and tell me how it turns out, i'll be getting some soon
    Kelboski

8. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Post deleted by 84k5

9. Topher

Topher Registered Member

I have a 4" lift and the 4" Pro Comp extended brakelines. So far so good but I haven't run with my swaybar disconnected yet so we'll see. Like Kelboski said I'd just get the 8" lines if you have to choose between the two. Besides I haven't seen any 6" kits yett, unless you're doing custom length lines yourself. Just make sure all that extra line doesn't interefere with anything during susp compression & full right/left steering.

Chris

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Personally, I'd go with the 8" line, do whatever else you're gonna do, then flex test it again. Whatever excess line you have, zip-tie it to something out of the way.

Almost forgot!! On my helicopter, I spiral-wrap all lines if they even LOOK like they'll rub something. You can get spiral-wrap at Wal-Mart, Pep Girls, and probably others. Put a zip-tie at each end of the wrap, and look at it once a month to make sure it's still hanging on.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!