Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

extended cab vs. crew cab

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by freeflow, Jul 16, 2006.

1. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Well im gonna be getting a newer truck for my dd/tow rig and have been looking at alot of diffrent trucks.

Since im gonna be towing my rig with it, im gonna get a 3/4 or 1 ton.

But the big option im stuck on is what size cab should i get:rolleyes: most of my driving it is just me but i do like the option of being able to have 4-5 people riding along without being cramped up. So a regular cab is out for sure.

Now The options are 96+ chevy extended cab, 97+dodge extended cab or if i save up some more cash a newer diesel, but im not sure if an extended cab is reall big enough for more than the front seat people.

Now i was at a family get together last weekend and there were 2 99+ ford super duties crew cabs with the power stroke and well they looked damn good and had plenty of room. And there was a 2004 dodge 3500 crew cab cummins there 2 and well thats way out of my price range.

Any opinions, comments, experiences are welcome

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

4 FULL doors. No doubt about it.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my next truck will probably be crew cab. Extended cabs are nice, if you just want extra room and not to move people. My dad has one, his backseat is full of crap. One person sits there once in a while and its no the most fun in the world. I say Crew Cab. I

4. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

So what do you all think of the super duties? There are alot of them around here alot of 6.0 diesels any comments on that motor? The 7.3 is the better motor from what i have heard. I think they look better than the newer chevy trucks, and dodge didnt have a crew can till recently correct?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

true on the Dodge thing.

6.0Ls? well I work at a Ford dealer, STAY AWAY FROM THE 6.0L!!! We get a couple a week having turbos put on. The 6.0L is junk in my eyes. Makes more power than the 7.3L but the 7.3 is so much more reliable.

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I say crew cab unless your freinds are all midgets. Remember there is always the option of the older Dodges with cummins. pre 94 I think although these usually go for a premium price

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well I am in the delema of putting a crew cab on my weekend warrior but thought about a extended cab... after even looking at the crew cab size... I think the ext cab is WAYYY too small :crazy:

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

For a towrig get a diesel even if you have to save more. For cab get as much room as possible. 4 full doors is best but not always an option.

I bought a 98 Dodge Cummins cab and a half. I wish I could have got a crewcab but Dodge didn't make them till the newer design so I was SOL on a crewcab.

I did buy the quadcab with 4 doors though to get the best access to the rear cab. I bought my truck based on motor and then cab. I knew I wanted a Cummins so I settled for a cab and a half to get the Cummins.

My next option would have been a Powerstroke with the older crewcab design Pre-99. I like the Powerstroke but I love the Cummins so the Dodge won.

Harley

9. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I had doubts about my "need" for a crew cab (even though Dodge's aren't considered a full crew cab) but I tell you what, I'm REALLY glad I got it. I've had my whole family in there, much more dry space and secure space for things.

If your pickup is going to be your family cruiser, get the crew cab if you can. Ext cabs are OK, but not nearly as roomy as crews.

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

chevy ext cabs after 99 are roomier than the previous generation.

Though my opinion is that chevy ext cabs are way larger than the ford ext cabs (on the f150 at least) and just slightly larger than the club cab.

im partial to chevys, so that doesnt say much.

But nothing beats a full crew cab, with 4 real doors.

parking is a bitch and a half with a full crew and a 8 ft bed.

11. DavidC86

DavidC86 Newbie

Ihave a 04 Chevy crew cab for a towrig and for a daily driver. I love it...all but trying to park.