Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extended front shock mount idea

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Nov 13, 2000.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have the Ford F-250 shock towers, but may not use them, not sure, after looking at them it seems like I might have to install them at an angle or drill another hole in the axle mount (bottom) to get them to work and they may be twisted a bit. I might look into removing the factory upper (tall one on quad setup) mount and installing a long piece of plate metal and bolt in stock holes with the factory mount welded to that higher up, the reason is the factory mount has the correct twist for the shock while the Ford tower does not, I could also add a piece on the back side for strength, anyone else have this idea?

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think as long as it was gusseted on the back of your plate it would work fine. At least the angle would be correct. How much higher than the stock mount would you have to go?

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I have the ford mounts sitting here also.I was looking at where to mount them and I may do a similar mount on to of the axle like the stock ford setup is on the F-250s.It has a mount on the spring plate.This would require a crossover steering setup to work though.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster

4. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Just a question, but what about the after market multible shock hoops? Would those work and are they even being made anymore?

blazen91

5. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

Go to the project vechicles and check out "BEAST" he has some home-brew shock extentions on the front similar to what your thinking about

Bill Innes
    88' Jimmy
    [​IMG]

6. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

blazen, i have a set of rancho shock hoops, the ones that work with the 9012s. they are very nice. but i only have them because someone gave me a good deal. but summit sells them for $275. kinda expensive.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

7. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

Steve,

I mounted mine at an angle. I used to have the aftermarket dual shock set-up and just used the old bracket. I then welded the ford mount in between the frame and shock bracket. The bottom mounts I replaced with some aftermarket, because I wanted a little more droop. I will try to find the pictures of the install. It works great this way.

8. CK5

What aftermarket bottom bracket did you use?

[​IMG]

9. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

I want to say they were made by Desert Steel. I actually welded them on top to the old bracket. This gave me another three inches of droop. The top dual shock brackets were also from Desert Steel.

10. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

11. Scott Ellinger

Scott Ellinger Registered Member

I just put the F250 towers on Moneypit's truck this week. Had to cut off the bottom 4" or so of the towers, mount them at an angle pointing at the firewall, and used the stock lower mounts. We twisted it up as far as it'd go on the ramp, guarantee the 9012's he's got in the front aren't limiting anything!

I welded them onto the frame; I suspect they could be drilled and bolted, and it wouldn't be too hard to do. Bug Moneypit for some digipics, I don't have a digicam. Also put an extra crossmember (set up for more 9012's) in the back... now he's just gotta get the suspension to flex as much as those shocks will allow! (prod prod...)

That, and fix the driveline vibration that showed up with the ORD shackle flip.

Hey, for you guys contemplating that... if you've got a rear receiver hitch (Moneypit does) you have to torch a chunk off of the flip bracket to clear the hitch mount on the frame. I think I took off about a 2.5" square chunk on his.

--scott
    http://www.rockstomper.com

12. CK5

Thank's Scott, I just started doing this tonight and it looks like I wont have a problem at all, angle them back and I should be fine with the stock lower mount, I will have one side done tonight and will take a pic.

[​IMG]

13. edeslaur

edeslaur Registered Member

Cool! Maybe a howto, what to get? My fronts are limiting me on a ramp & offroad & I've been looking to do something like this.

TIA,

ERic D
    88 K30 Blazer

14. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Steve,
    Don't be stealing my design. I used the quad shock mount and welded it where the stock shock mount was. I am running 14 inch travel Doesch Tech pre-runner shocks.

[​IMG]

15. CK5

Hey, thats what were here for is to steal each, I mean get ideas for our Blazers. I have the other side done now and will try to ramp it tomorrow to make sure everything clears.

[​IMG]

16. edeslaur

Pictures, Pictures, Pictures (everyone chant with me!) :-)
    Love you smart guys figuring out these things, even if it's with Ford parts!
    Eric D
    88 K30

17. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Whats the difference between Rancho 9012s and regualar 9000s?

90K5

18. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

9012 are the longest shocks that they make but I was told that they are valved softer that the normal ones. I just order some 5100 series Bilsteins that are 14" long and I will see how those are. The bilsteins cost $70 each. We will see.

Donovan

19. edeslaur

RS9000 is the model for all RS9xxx shocks. A 9012 is a longer shock. I have those on the front of my truck with Rancho's PreRunner lift (around 3.5"). Under full compression mashing the bumpstop, they still have around 1/4" of compression travel, but they are too short and limit my downtravel.
    Solution? Move the mount & get different shocks.

Eric D
    88 K30