Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

extended shackles... Anyone???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Sep 17, 2001.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Anyone running ord's extended shackles??? Pro... Con...

2. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Well, I cant exactly answer your questioj first hand, becuase I dont have them yet, however, I am verry impressed with what I have heard and know about them, and I plan to get them verry soon in combination with there sway bar corectional disconect system.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I built a set myself (sorry Stephen...[​IMG]) 1/2" longer than stock and made some greasable bolts for them at the same time. [​IMG]
    They work great! No more spring hitting the underside of the frame and the shackles actually move now.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I've actually been pondering the Hill shackle Steve had. I like the idea of an extra 1" of tift up front to help clear some 37's, but not sure if I really want anymore wrenchs thrown in the steering (which I have great) and really not sure I want to have to run shims up front to correct the fact. With this in mind I may go the ORD shackles and a 1" Body lift

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch&gt;http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch&lt;/a&gt;
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by CaptCrunch on 09/17/01 04:55 AM.</FONT></P>

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I made some after breaking 3 of my stock ones in half. 4 1/2" ctr-ctr, similar to ORDs, but not as pretty. My rig leaks enough I didn't feel the need for greasable bolts. Plus I don't put too may miles on it.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

6. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

Guys, you should check your local reg's (tRusty). Here, in B.C., it's written in plain english that extended shackles will fail a vehicle inspection... Not knocking anyone's work here, but it depends on how legal you want your truck to remain.

--Rob

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Depending on how close they look, 1/2" longer shackles won't draw attention, especially w/a nice coat of black paint or rust. I prefer a black or dirt colored undercariage anyway, I don't care for anodized shackles, white shocks, red bushings, chrome diff covers, etc.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Funny you should ask because I just got off the phone with ORD and just ordered a set of the greaseable ones along with a few other parts.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I ain't skeered...[​IMG] if I get an inspection notice the shackles are the least of my worries. Besides, 1/2" longer between the bolts is going to awefully hard to notice, as Pete has already pointed out.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>