Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extended shackles.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wally81k5, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if someone who has made their own extented shackles could guide me into some measurments. My K5 is parked and i can't get to it right now. Its an 81' and i want to make 1" extended shackles for the front. Also i read you need a angle shim.... tell me about it. Please help me guys!

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

off road design sells them 1" longer than stock.

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I made my own last week. The factory length eye to eye is 4'' for the front shackles (actually 4'' on the rear too.) I ended up making mine 5 1/4'' eye to eye and 7'' total length. It is easiest to just make them out of 3/8'' x 1 1/2''-2'' wide flat stock. BTW the ORD front shackles are only 1/2'' longer than stock and they are the same length as 89-91 shackles (factory came to their senses by then) Also my shackles cost me $6 (paint included)

4. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

I fab, and sell them. thier measurments are correct.

heres the scoop, when you only raise one side of the spring, you get 1/4-1/2 of what you add. i wanted to cure a binding problem, so i went 3 inches over stock length, and got 1-1/2 inch lift. and yes, in the front you HAVE to shim, or you lose your caster, and camber goes poopy, and turn stupid, and so, yes, do SHIMS!!
    also, if you make them longer than stock, especially for offroad, you need to weld a c-channel in the center for stability, or theyll twist, and *sNaP-O-lA* !good luck, and if ya have any questions, pm me /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I dont think you need much, if any, shim for 1 in. longer. Id actually welcome a touch less caster on mine. If you have lift springs that have shims built into the pack you dont need to shim at all. The little bit of difference in caster angle w/ a 1 in. is very minimal. If you do shim it, you dont need much at all. Just a small one will do.