Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Extended shock mount pics on RTI ramp

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Nov 21, 2000.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK, guys, we slapped the UAV on the ramp today to check the front and rear clearance for any problems. They worked awesome, they didn't bind or hit anywhere. For those of you who do not know, I used Ford F-250 shock mounts in the front and had a custom setup in the back using RS9012 shocks. (tech article comming)

RTI scores BEFORE shock relocation program (25 degree ramp)
    Forward: 817
    Backward: 864
    RTI scores AFTER shock relocation program (25 degree ramp)
    Forward: 930
    Backward: 977
    Full air pressure in the tires and spring clamps unmodified, no trick parts

I have added more new pics to this directory: http://coloradok5.com/ranchoshockreview

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

2. FWP

FWP CRS

AWESOME. The first thing I noticed was the front driveshaft- WOW! That's some flexin....[​IMG]

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

3. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Man that is awesome. How much brake line do you have left? Where did you ramp at? You guys got alot more snow than we did in Arvada.

Donovan

4. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry. I've tried to read all the posts, but I just don't get it. What does this accomplish? I tried, but I don't get it.

Thanks,

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

5. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

The ramp is at Offroad LTD in Aurora @ Colfax & 225. It's actually a nice 25 degree ramp thats coated with Herculiner. It's transportable and from the talk of the owner, they loan it out to 4x4 clubs. The Toy club is borrowing it for a X-mas party. To go up the ramp, they just make you sign a waiver and it's always outside for anyone to use. We had to shovel the snow just to go up it today.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I want snow! No fair! Oh yeah, shocks look real good Steve. What else are you going to do? You're getting close to 1000!!! [​IMG] </font color=blue>

7. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

79Guy-
    The ramp is just a measurement for flex. It's a good tool to use if you want to compare before and after results with springs, shocks, mounts, etc. This will also show if you have problems with short brake lines or something hitting it shouldn't. RTI stands for Ramp Travel Index. The more degree, the less the score. RTI is calculated by dividing the measurement you went up the ramp by 106.5 (Blazers wheel base) and multiply by 1000.
    RTI=(distance/wheel base x 1000)

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

8. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

Sweet!! How does it ride with the new setup? Two more questions. How much of a difference do the swaybar disconnects make and since I've never seen anything ramped, what determines the stopping point when going up the ramp.

Thanks

9. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Articulation is the same as body roll (which the swaybar controls) so the disconnects give a lot of flex. You stop going up the ramp when you lift a tire</font color=blue>

10. CK5

I don't know that I will do to much more to the suspension, it flexes real nice now and anything more would just make it less driveable on the street. I could open up the spring clamps for more flex, use some of the new trick parts that are out there for additional flex, but I don't want to sacrafice street maners for a little more flex that I probably wouldn't use on the trail anyway. But I am open to new ideas. (sorry about the spelling)

[​IMG]

11. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

you guys really bum me out. I cant wait till mine is as far along the road as yours. But....that takes more cash than i have right now, so i guess ill just keep on truckin!!![​IMG] [​IMG]

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

12. CK5

Keep on truckin Shaggy, I have been working on this thing for over 6 years now, and yes it takes a lot of cash and time.

[​IMG]

13. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Nice work Steve. I'll be doing the same this spring/summer. It looks sweet!
    By the way.....with the Soft top in the snowy winter, it must be freezing in your truck...or is not? Just wondering how its going with the soft top on in the winter so far? Thanks
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

79Guy:
    The more wheel travel the less likly you are to lift a tire. If you lift a tire it means you lose traction and foward travel. My truck flexes good, not as good as Deps, Shawns and Steves but getting there. The next step for me is to relocate my shocks like Steve just did and I will be even better.
    My truck is open diff (no lockers) right now with the flex I have I run terrain that is pretty hardcore and because I can keep atleast 3 tires if not all 4 on the ground at all times I rarely loose traction and require being pulled. Right now I run with several guys who are locked front and rear but do not have the flex I do. A good bit of the time I can navigate obsticals better than them because they are loosing traction because they lift tires off the ground. I still have all 4 of mine on the ground so I can still go without having to beat on the truck and spin tires like they are. I have one Bud with a 72K5 with front and rear ARB's on 36's and everytime I wheel with him he gets hacked when he has all sorts of trouble and I walk it with out spinning a tire. It really hacks him because he knows I'm open. It use to be that he always was infront of me so if I get stuck he could pull me since I'm open on 32's. Now I usualy go first because A: I pick better lines B: I have had to pull him twice and he has as yet to pull me &lt;GRIN&gt;. I have to admit I do on occasion pick a delibrate bad line that my truck can handle just to sucker him in hehehehe. One of the pulls I had to do to get him going was as a result of me picking a very nasty off camber line and as a with him running 5 PSI he was running in his swampers he could not make the turn with the lockers and kept getting real close to rolling the bead. The pull was more to unload the tire and help steer the front of the truck so it wouldn't come off the rim :) If he had the flex he could have unlocked the ARB's and made the turn without any trouble just like I did. I have a bud with a Wrangler with the Warn CoilOver kit on it. He runs open and has decided to skip the lockers. He seldom needs help and runs trails like School bus and Hellicopter pad at Tellico with little trouble.
    Thats what Flex is all about. The Ramp was explained is several other posts.
    If you don't trail ride then there is not point to have that much flex on the street. It does make the truck handle poor on the road.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

15. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I don't suppose you know how much wheel travel you got in the front, do you? I'm just looking for some numbers for some calculations that I'm working on. Up and down travel would be nice :)

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

16. CK5

That's the one thing I didn't measure. Do you measure from the ground to the center of the hub when it is on the ramp?

[​IMG]

17. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I actually measure from the axle tube up to the frame to get the most accurate measurement. I'm not looking to calc the RTI figures, just looking for numbers to compare for my new suspention design so that I can design the correct springs.

Thanks,

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash